GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, how often should I change that shit? I did it at 50K, and I'm at 77K now...

:shake:

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
ive heard every 30k. i would imagine the front needs it less often tho. you cant hurt it by changing it early

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hrm... looks like I've got something to do over a weekend soon. :D

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
I use mine in some non-oil friendly envirements and change it at least twice a year or about every 6,000 miles. Its made easy by a drain plug, no having to remove the cover!

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
did you get a new cover or did you install a plug in your stock one?

damn chevy not putting a drain plug. and jeep too. why why why its soooo easy

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
I got a new cover. Yes if you wheel in sloppy condition a drain plug is one of gods greatest tools.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So 25K for the front diff too? :think:

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
You might as well do them at the same times and the front is easier than the rear. But the front porbably gets a tiny amount of use compared to the back, so its not necesary.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bggrnchvy said:
You might as well do them at the same times and the front is easier than the rear. But the front porbably gets a tiny amount of use compared to the back, so its not necesary.

Hrm... I will prolly do the front also. Cheap enough. :shake:

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I didn't think the front was that easy. Well, its easy to drain..but getting the crap back in is a PITA. I couldn't get the bottle to the filler hole, so I ended up just hooking the pointy end of the bottle to the vent tube, poking a hole in the bottom of the bottle and letting it go for 20 minutes.

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
Ok, well w/o the right tools anything is hard. In this case the right tool is a funnel with a hose attachment, trust me if the oil is warm enough to flow well it takes 10 minutes.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I had a PITA refilling my front diff...I spilled a good amount on me. The bottle was too large for the area! lol

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Hit Man X said:
Yeah I had a PITA refilling my front diff...I spilled a good amount on me. The bottle was too large for the area! lol
Yeah that was my problem and the only hose in sight was the vent hose. Worked good though.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Whifflebat said:
Yeah that was my problem and the only hose in sight was the vent hose. Worked good though.

Can ya elaborate on this or take some pics?

What if I got a tube and ran it from the fill bottle to the fill hole in the diff? then I could stand up in front of the truck. :think:

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Yeah you could do that. I just left the filler hole open, pulled of fthe little breather thingy off the end of the vent tube (mine terminates by the fan shroud somewhere, drivers side), and then i stuck the pointy end of the bottle into the tube, poked a hole in the bottom end of the bottle and let gravity do the work for me, which was slow. Very slow...

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hrm... I'm going to do some thinking here as I know the front can be done easier than it appears.

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
I swear, autozone sells a funnel that was a peice of accordion tube on the end of it that fits in the fill hole. just use that, you cant stand up, but at least you don't have to lean over into the fender well, just stand there and use WARM gear oil (it flows so much faster).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts