GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what's the differences besides torque and HP? Does the 6.0's come with a 4l60e or 4l80e? Do you have to change out the entire engine to make a 5.3 a 6.0 or just put some stuff off of a 6.0 on a 5.3? Just curious...

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
they use different blocks. the 6.0 is just bigger. i dont think many of the parts are interchangable

·
Registered
658 Posts
well im pretty sure that the 6.0 comes with the 4L-80E...now the 4L-60E which is what the 5.3 has can only handle like 300 to 350 hp going through it (thats what i have heard from everyone)...so i think that you would have to do a complete replace of motor and tranny and all the wiring...i think....well someone who knows chime in....

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm just wondering cause the junk yard up the road has a 6.0, but no trans. I don't really have the money for it, but I think I could get a loan. Just don't know if I really wanna do it or not.

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
the 6.0 also should have more than a 10 bolt behind it. lol even a 5.3 should if its modded :insane:

i think the SS has a 6.0 with the 4l60e tranny. i doubt they woulda put in the 4l80e and left the 10 bolt on that one but who knows

if i were you, just put a blower on the 5.3 instead of swap

·
a.k.a. turbodan
3,220 Posts
they are all interchangable bell housings, a 4l60e and 80e have the same bolt pattern. for your truck , you just need the long block 6.0, no intake or anything. all the accesories in the front, and intake will bolt right up. the good thing is you will never know that its a 6.0 unless you tell someone it is.

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
fullthrottledan said:
they are all interchangable bell housings, a 4l60e and 80e have the same bolt pattern. for your truck , you just need the long block 6.0, no intake or anything. all the accesories in the front, and intake will bolt right up. the good thing is you will never know that its a 6.0 unless you tell someone it is.
interesting info. i thought the 6.0 had different heads? if so, wouldnt the 5.3 heads be restrictive with a 6.0 block?

·
a.k.a. turbodan
3,220 Posts
yes, you would want to run the 6.0 heads for the 6.0 block, but you can use the 5.3 heads, it would raise your compression ratio, and you would get more power, hense why most camaro people who are on a budget, but want more power will take their ls1 heads off and put on 5.3 heads. But if justin gets the motor, he would just need the block, heads and internals(long block)

·
ExhaustSoundzSeniorMember
1,137 Posts
i thought i had seen some guys getting some gains from switching a 6.0 cam and heads into their 5.3?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So which is better the 6.0 heads or the 5.3's?
Some guy saw my 6000 engine cover last night and thought I had a 6.0 in it already. If I didn't tell anyone that I still had a 5.3 and just said it was a 6.0 would they know any different? Just curious is all.

·
a.k.a. turbodan
3,220 Posts
6.0 heads on a 5.3 will lower the compression ratio. This, however, is perfect for boosted applications. I guess with the right cam and 6.0 heads you can get gain, but, it still lowers the c.r. imo

·
It's Jerry's World
3,573 Posts
fullthrottledan said:
6.0 heads on a 5.3 will lower the compression ratio. This, however, is perfect for boosted applications. I guess with the right cam and 6.0 heads you can get gain, but, it still lowers the c.r. imo
boost IT!! :head:

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
naw no more racing for me, this is pretty much for show points and I can get the 6.0 alot cheaper from this guy than a S.C.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
simplystylin said:
The SS has the 4L65E :read:
and isn't the 65E just a beefed up 60E? I believe it is pretty much the same tranny, with a few stronger parts...same gear ratios and everything.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
way2hi said:
naw no more racing for me, this is pretty much for show points and I can get the 6.0 alot cheaper from this guy than a S.C.
For show points it won't do much for you.

·
Yes, I do...
4,065 Posts
would be pretty much useless for show purposes, no one would be able to tell. But a big shiney blower could yeild you some points ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts