GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was reading a thread and cant find it now, does changing your brake lines improve pedal stiffness? i have a 2002 silverado 5.3l and i got powerslot brake rotors and hawk pads. my pedal goes down pretty far before it starts working id say about half way. and my brakes work good but by the time my foot goes to the floor on them they feel like if my foot could go farther they would stop better?!? anybody get what im asking? because i was reading up on this thread and the person installed aftermarket lines and it said because they are stiffer and have less play they give the pedal more stiffness.:bowtie:

·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts
braided stainless steel brake lines are what you're looking for. i think Russell is a company that makes them. there's another one out there but forget the name. i think you can get them on summit maybe?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is this something that will make a good difference in my braking or do you think it could be something else?

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
you needa fix whats wrong with them before you upgrade...try flushing them and putting new fluid in...if I nail my break like your saying you have to I eat dash...

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i dont know what it is tho? i brought it to the dealer and they tested everything. they told me that the pedal is just like that...but it wasnt soo soft before the new brakes? plus i had 2 different shops bleeed them because i thought that was it but it wasnt.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
haha...funny you asked that. its a good idea but i already checked that, the rotors look the EXACT same size and everything to the stockers except they are slotted!

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Earls too.

·
Giggity Giggity Giggity
3,169 Posts
Yeah, definitely go with stainless if you're going to upgrade. The pedal feel changes because the stainless doesn't swell like the stock lines are prone to do when the fluid gets heated. The swelling is one reason why you will feel brake fade; the stainless helps keep the fluid flow to the calipers more consistant.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts