GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok went to dealership last nite to get some keys for a truck we lifted and they said there was a difference of about 6 possible keys for 2003-2007 classic body styles. Can anyone explain the differences to me?

The only reason we are even worrying about this is the truck had level keys in it and when we set it on the ground the front was wayyyy higher than the back.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
:think: I think I see what your putting down, but just in case, pics...

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
First, did you back off the leveling keys that were in it? Decranked leveling keys should get you at least back down to "stock" height. They normally add roughly 2" of additional adjustment.

If you are getting stock keys for a 1/2 ton 4x4, you will want Green Keys. Stock keys for a 3/4-1ton would be Purple Keys. (Noted by the color paint marked on the keys for identification because ALL keys share the same casting numbers that have NOTHING to do with the actual part numbers.)

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry no pics, was working on it at a local shop I used to work at for the owner and then came back to work at my real job.

We did back them off and took the bolts out but left the bolt plate in under the key. It wasn't as bad that way but still too high. When we installed lift, we just put the bolts back in the key plates just as they were before starting and found this out. The car dealer then decides to tell us "Oh by the way, I had that truck leveled out before this lift idea hit me." So we KNOW there are leveled key in it, just gotta find out which ones are factory.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
Sorry no pics, was working on it at a local shop I used to work at for the owner and then came back to work at my real job.

We did back them off and took the bolts out but left the bolt plate in under the key. It wasn't as bad that way but still too high. When we installed lift, we just put the bolts back in the key plates just as they were before starting and found this out. The car dealer then decides to tell us "Oh by the way, I had that truck leveled out before this lift idea hit me." So we KNOW there are leveled key in it, just gotta find out which ones are factory.
See above :read: I told you which ones you need. I even have an extra set lying around.

Oh and if the leveling keys happened to be the TRUXXX leveling kit, where you can reindex the hex inside of the key for different applications, you can just change it to stock.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. Thats what i needed to know. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts