GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I have a 2004 silverado 2500 non hd with the 10.5 inch 30 spline differential with the g80 locking diff. I am pretty sure it's broken and I want to replace it with a new carrier (limited slip or locking) and 4.56 gears. What parts would I need and what locker or limited slip would you guys recommend? I can only afford to spend up to 500 on the carrier and maybe another 200 for any other parts needed for install.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
truetrac...ur budget kinda sucks tho

·
4,725 Posts
Do you go offroad? Detroit locker. They are minis for 14ff... So youll need an open carrier, or you can go arb/grizzly. If you stick to the street, truetrac etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I do offroad. If I didnt I could go with an open diff for cheap. So once I buy the carrier and gears, which install kit would I need?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Get a tru trac

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
Hey everyone,

I have a 2004 silverado 2500 non hd with the 10.5 inch 30 spline differential with the g80 locking diff. I am pretty sure it's broken and I want to replace it with a new carrier (limited slip or locking) and 4.56 gears. What parts would I need and what locker or limited slip would you guys recommend? I can only afford to spend up to 500 on the carrier and maybe another 200 for any other parts needed for install.

Thanks
Better save more money. $700 installed aint gonna happen brodawg

·
Central Florida Chapter
175 Posts
installation at most shops is 400-500bucks lol

·
4,725 Posts
He didnt say installed. He was saying $200 for a master install kit.
Only a bitch would need someone to install gears.

·
Central Florida Chapter
175 Posts
I was going based on what was said above me lol. If you don't have the right tools, then no need to call someone a bitch because of it..

·
4,725 Posts
$40 at harbor freight. 2 hours labor
2.5/10 difficulty

·
Central Florida Chapter
175 Posts
it may be 2.5/10 difficulty if you've done it numerous times, first time it will be a 6/10 because you're more of doing everything to make sure it's right, also, you need dial indicatior, torque wrench tools, bearing and race installer. little more than a few bucks,.

i know where you're getting at, but it's not easy for a first timer.

·
Typical Smart-Ass
1,147 Posts
it may be 2.5/10 difficulty if you've done it numerous times, first time it will be a 6/10 because you're more of doing everything to make sure it's right, also, you need dial indicatior, torque wrench tools, bearing and race installer. little more than a few bucks,.

i know where you're getting at, but it's not easy for a first timer.
I concur with this. Also need a press.

·
Central Florida Chapter
175 Posts
yes for pinion bearing and carrier bearings, but you can take them to machine shops and have them do it aswell.

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
He didnt say installed. He was saying $200 for a master install kit.
Only a bitch would need someone to install gears.
Damn, true.

Dammit, put me in bitch category. I wasnt about to install mine without dial indicator. I only paid 150 labor for my install though.

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts