GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my hoe has an aftermarket directed car alarm. whoever installed it mounted the shock sensor to the wires that run under the dash (big bundle of wires and shit). it is attacted with a zip tie. needless to say i can jump up and down on the grill, bang on the windows, just about anything and it wont even trigger the alarm, and the sensitivity is turned all the way up. i took it up to the alarm shop and they said the shock sensor should be mounted to the firewall (or other metal piece of the car) with screws instead of with a shitty zip tie, that way it will sense the actual car.......is this true or were they just trying to get some money out of me? i mean if it needs to be mounted to the actual car instead of some dinky ass wires i will do it myself, just wanted some opinions from people that know more.....thanks in advance

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
I try to mount them to the biggest bundle of wires I can find, as long as they are nice and solid. Thump the sensor and see if it lights up, if not it might be bad or the alarm itself might have that input burnt up, or it might even be unplugged
The wire thing seems to let it "see" a wider area of the car/truck even if it is less sensitive , you just turn it up more. The wire mounts usually sees the bed hits and the metal mounts dont always see them

if you need a new one holla at me, Ill send you one for like $5 to cover my gas and shipping

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, when i thump the sensor it lights up fine, a light tap around the sensor will send a green light, and slighty harder tap will send a red light, and when it turns red sometimes the alarm will blare like a bitch, others it won't. so maybe the actual alarm box is fucked up (or that is what that dude at the alarm shop said). and the alarm shop said when the green light flashes the alarm is suppose to chirp to warn people away and it doesn't do that. but i'm no expert, i guess the sensor could be bad..........lights may work fine but not sending the signal to the box?!?!?

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
its hard to say, could be like 5 things at least. Id go to a place that sells Viper or other DEIs and get a sensor, or get one from me and try that first

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how much for the sensor from you?

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
94flamds10blazr said:
Thump the sensor and see if it lights up, if not it might be bad or the alarm itself might have that input burnt up, or it might even be unplugged

if you need a new one holla at me, Ill send you one for like $5 to cover my gas and shipping
i think that should tell u...

·
eBay-aholic
510 Posts
DaHoe4x4Ag said:
well, when i thump the sensor it lights up fine, a light tap around the sensor will send a green light, and slighty harder tap will send a red light, and when it turns red sometimes the alarm will blare like a bitch, others it won't. so maybe the actual alarm box is fucked up (or that is what that dude at the alarm shop said). and the alarm shop said when the green light flashes the alarm is suppose to chirp to warn people away and it doesn't do that. but i'm no expert, i guess the sensor could be bad..........lights may work fine but not sending the signal to the box?!?!?
The OEM DEI shock sensors only have a red light. It blinks during a warning trigger, and stays solidly lit during a hard impact. What does it look like? It should be about 1" tall and wide and 1.5" long.

If it looks more like a deck of cards in a clear case with 2 adjustment knobs on it, then it's more than likely a priximity/radar sensor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts