GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
resident pyromaniac
7,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The upper ball joint hole in the spindle is about 12mm and the new ball joint is 1/2”.
Use a 1\2” drill bit to enlarge the hole. Do not change the taper only enlarge the
smallest part of the hole. Use two 1/2” flat washers between the castle nut and the
spindle on each side Install new arms with factory hardware and attach brake line with
zip tie. Grease all grease fittings.

According to the DJM instructions, I have to drill out the hole in the spindle. It says not to change the taper. By simply drilling this top hole with 1/2" drill bit, I'm not going to be changing the taper am I?:think: It says only enlarge the smallest part of the hole. Is this the top hole of the spindle (green) or the bottom of the UCA balljoint hole (red) that they're referring to?

·
resident pyromaniac
7,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
apparently the new balljoint stud is larger than the hole in the spindle so you drill it out to the corresponding size.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
its the bottom part of the spindle. if you put the 1/2 bit in from the top then it wouldnt hit any par tof hte spindle till the bottom which is where you would ream the whole just a tad but larger to make the balljoint fit. put the damn thing int he hole and see where it fits. lol thats where you need to drill. sorry im a drunk poster

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Yeah just put the 1/2" bit into the spindle and you'll see where you need to drill out. It's the bottom of the hole that needs it, but it doesn't need much. It's one of those "once you start you're done" type things.

Chris
Acro Texas

·
resident pyromaniac
7,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
its the bottom part of the spindle. if you put the 1/2 bit in from the top then it wouldnt hit any par tof hte spindle till the bottom which is where you would ream the whole just a tad but larger to make the balljoint fit. put the damn thing int he hole and see where it fits. lol thats where you need to drill. sorry im a drunk poster
Yeah just put the 1/2" bit into the spindle and you'll see where you need to drill out. It's the bottom of the hole that needs it, but it doesn't need much. It's one of those "once you start you're done" type things.

Chris
Acro Texas
thanks guys! im looking at getting new tires soon so i wanted to go ahead and get the UCA's on. Guess i'll have to do that next week:anitoof:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts