GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says do all 14 bolt sf axles have this ring (just to the right of the bearing cap) with holes drilled through it about its circumference? And if so what the hell is it and what does it do? The reason I am asking is because it is causing me issues since I cannot fit my ARB locker in because of it and I can't figure out if it is because it just won't work or if it is somthing else. I really hope I didn't get a 14 bolt that is not compatible with the ARB.

14boltsf.gif

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
Uh, yea. Its a backlash/pre-load adjuster. The 14SF doesn't use shims like the 10 bolt, you have to screw that thing in and out(one on each side) to adjust carrier location relative tot he pinion and then torque them out once in place to set carrier bearing pre-load. Just adjust your into the tubes more and the ARB will fit.

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
Uh, yea. Its a backlash/pre-load adjuster. The 14SF doesn't use shims like the 10 bolt, you have to screw that thing in and out(one on each side) to adjust carrier location relative tot he pinion and then torque them out once in place to set carrier bearing pre-load. Just adjust your into the tubes more and the ARB will fit.
No no Kyle, the 14 SF uses shims on one side, and an adjuster collar on the other.

You need to screw that thing in far enough to allow the carrier to fit in. Then, you screw it out to get the preload you need. Of course that is after you get the correct shims in the other side.

Stupid question, is the ARB for that axle?

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
Wtf? The sf'er uses an adjusting collar and shims? Man, way to half ass a very close to sweet thing GM. Thats ridiculous.

Thank you for the info.

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
Wtf? The sf'er uses an adjusting collar and shims? Man, way to half ass a very close to sweet thing GM. Thats ridiculous.

Thank you for the info.
Yeah, I was surprised when first saw it. But, it does make it easier to gear then a 10 bolt.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No no Kyle, the 14 SF uses shims on one side, and an adjuster collar on the other.

You need to screw that thing in far enough to allow the carrier to fit in. Then, you screw it out to get the preload you need. Of course that is after you get the correct shims in the other side.

Stupid question, is the ARB for that axle?
Yea I got the RD40 which is specifically for the 9.5" 14 bolt. It all makes sense now. I have been doing alot of reading on the subject but everything I have read has used only shims to set the backlash and carrier preload. Also, the adjuster has only certain positions that it can be set to since it is pinned in place. That is probably why they only put it on one side. Either way you guys are awesome. Thanks for the help, I was quite worried before.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Ive been in an aweful lot of axles and the 14sf is the only axle ive ever seen that does that. I kinda like it actually - i think its easier than 2 spanners would be since you would have to start from scratch every time you pulled the pinion since it doesnt have a removable pinion support.

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
Yea I got the RD40 which is specifically for the 9.5" 14 bolt. It all makes sense now. I have been doing alot of reading on the subject but everything I have read has used only shims to set the backlash and carrier preload. Also, the adjuster has only certain positions that it can be set to since it is pinned in place. That is probably why they only put it on one side. Either way you guys are awesome. Thanks for the help, I was quite worried before.
The 14FF just uses 2 adjustable collars, you can walk the retaining clip a fair distance to lock in the collars at other than 2 holes exactly up.

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
Chrysler 9.25's use spanners on each side--- It made the job very easy BUT i could not even begin to think of how to do it with out to $35 spanner wrench from Randys Ring and Pinion---

1 - 10 of 10 Posts