GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was taking some more of my IFS off last night (got away from my buddy's car) and had to cut part off the cross member to get the bolt off.....but Do I even need the cross member?
the bend
sasswap002-1.jpg

the solution
sasswap004-1.jpg

the car that has kept me from the SAS
travi001.jpg

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
Uh, yea, you do. What else is going to hold the frame rails together near the front of the truck? Eitherway, notching it is a good idea, my springs ran into mine at full bump.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Do not remove that. it is a major support for the frame :pow:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Uh, yea, you do. What else is going to hold the frame rails together near the front of the truck? Eitherway, notching it is a good idea, my springs ran into mine at full bump.
well, the sky kit has a cross brace in it, and doesn't the truck have a separate K-member or are the motor mounts on the frame? the truck is at my shop, I cant go look.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do not remove that. it is a major support for the frame :pow:
this is the first full framed auto I've owned, I've had nothing but camaros, trans ams, and motorcycles

it sounds stupid but I could teach you all a thing or to about a motor or trans, but when it comes to frames, I'm basically stupid

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
Engine mounts are to the frame. That is the engine crossmember. The Sky kit has a member between the hangers because they drop past the frame so far. They are trying to decrease the bending moment the spring eye plates see.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh, and the beer thing, I learned this from being stationed at Ft. Sill, everyone in the south things Coors and Bud Light are pussy beers, but in the North, Miller Lite is the Worst beer you can buy. Everyone around ever drinks bud light, I drink coors, but only for a light beer, otherwise its BUD, Goose Island 312, Amberbock, Old Style, High Life, Etc.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Engine mounts are to the frame. That is the engine crossmember. The Sky kit has a member between the hangers because they drop past the frame so far. They are trying to decrease the bending moment the spring eye plates see.
thats a far cry to be called an engine crossmember, it does nothing for it (I'm not flaming you, just saying).

but thanks for the motor mount answer.

·
4,725 Posts
Artillery?

Infantry drinks dark lagers only!!!!! Okay well, at least I do :lol:

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
When i do my SAS i plan to remove that crossmember. But i plan to build a new one out of some tubing that serves the same purpose but gives better clearance. My buddy's at the local offroad shop have done it a few times and never a problem.

·
submarine z71
1,312 Posts
oh, and the beer thing, I learned this from being stationed at Ft. Sill, everyone in the south things Coors and Bud Light are pussy beers, but in the North, Miller Lite is the Worst beer you can buy. Everyone around ever drinks bud light, I drink coors, but only for a light beer, otherwise its BUD, Goose Island 312, Amberbock, Old Style, High Life, Etc.
i drink SPARK...bitches..:crazy:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Artillery?

Infantry drinks dark lagers only!!!!! Okay well, at least I do :lol:
I'm a Forward Observer. I'm making the switch over to Cav Lt. next year.

·
Left Jizz
1,225 Posts
i drink SPARK...bitches..:crazy:
Yeah, but everybody knows your too much of a pussy to drink beer. Bud or highlife is good, but I prefer guiness.

Ohh, and if that crossmember wasn't there it would be very detrimental to your truck's health.

·
submarine z71
1,312 Posts
i guess u missed the :crazy:

·
submarine z71
1,312 Posts
well i missed it then

1 - 20 of 21 Posts