GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went wheeling yesterday and the Yukon did pretty well, its not lifted...just a RC Lift/level kit with 33's, so i would rub my running board on some of the taller rocks and was thinking does anyone sell rocksliders for this truck?, also does anyone make skid plates? or is this more of a custom fab thing?

thanks
-Pete

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
Here you go,
http://www.trail-gear.com/tacoma.html The 78" unwelded ones should be just right for your Yukon unless it is an XL. I have them on my white truck and they are exactly the length of the extended cab, but it would not be hard to extend them. I got mine for $120 Shipped off ebay.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here you go,
http://www.trail-gear.com/tacoma.html The 78" unwelded ones should be just right for your Yukon unless it is an XL. I have them on my white truck and they are exactly the length of the extended cab, but it would not be hard to extend them. I got mine for $120 Shipped off ebay.
they would be long enough, but do they come out far enough from the frame?

do you have the tacoma ones?

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
they would be long enough, but do they come out far enough from the frame?

do you have the tacoma ones?
Umm, yea thats why I said "I have them on my white truck"

They come out PLENTY far from the frame, I actually cut 2" off the legs because it stuck out too far, but I am planning on repositioning them soon, and when I do I am cutting an additional 2" off them, because I think they stick out too far still since I got wheels with more backspacing.

In progress pictures of them:

DSCN1106.jpg

DSCN1103.jpg

DSCN1100.jpg

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
Just be careful dropping on these. They're made for a lightweight Yota, not a fullsize.

I've dropped hard on my sliders and the 2x3 box tube is holding up fine but the 1-1/2" HREW round is dented (higher dent resistance than 1-3/4 HREW) and bent in one place from a hard hit.

My runners (all 4 of them) on both sides are bowed a bit. I'm putting in some gussets as I mounted alot of my exo to them.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
Just be careful dropping on these. They're made for a lightweight Yota, not a fullsize.
Very true, I wanted mine mainly for looks, because I wanted to be more low profile than a 3" exhaust tube stepbar, but at the same time, much more durable. I don't think it would support my truck dropping down onto them, but I would feel better about them than some normal stepbars.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
I have the 78"ers they are made to run from fender to fender on Toyotas. Mine have served well as step bars LOL. I still need to gusset them for realtime wheeling.

·
DeepSouth Gangster
5,669 Posts
I have a friend making me some for my truck. I like the ones he has built for other 4runners and Tacoma's and his 4runner is BALLIN'. Mine are 105" long and run fender to fender with 5 legs going to the frame. I'm getting them mostly for the looks, but the functionality of steps add too the reason why I want them.

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
Umm, yea thats why I said "I have them on my white truck"

They come out PLENTY far from the frame, I actually cut 2" off the legs because it stuck out too far, but I am planning on repositioning them soon, and when I do I am cutting an additional 2" off them, because I think they stick out too far still since I got wheels with more backspacing.

In progress pictures of them:

DSCN1106.jpg

DSCN1103.jpg

DSCN1100.jpg

man, I've thought if doing this a bit myself... searched forever only coming up with results from jeeps, toyotas, and some nissans.... But thought the ones for the taco looked pretty generic and workable... just never felt like guinea pigging it.

Props for actually carrying it out. Nice work, looks good on there!

But like silver98Z71 mentioned, I'd be looking for some to go wheel to wheel, even though it might be hard to brace the section under bed with the leaf spring in the way there... But probably not a big worry since I'm sure my truck wouldn't be seeing anything nearly has rough as bggrnchvy!

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
man, I've thought if doing this a bit myself... searched forever only coming up with results from jeeps, toyotas, and some nissans.... But thought the ones for the taco looked pretty generic and workable... just never felt like guinea pigging it.

Props for actually carrying it out. Nice work, looks good on there!

But like silver98Z71 mentioned, I'd be looking for some to go wheel to wheel, even though it might be hard to brace the section under bed with the leaf spring in the way there... But probably not a big worry since I'm sure my truck wouldn't be seeing anything nearly has rough as bggrnchvy!
I've thought about extending them wheel to wheel (Actually bought a second set for my CCLB that I want to extend wheel to wheel by adding more tubing and inserting a smaller piece inside the two where I weld them together and add some braces), and thought buying a set already started like these were much easier since I have access to a welder and such, but not a bender. These just happened to be just the length of the cab of my ECSB so I got them just as a lower profile step for it mainly. That length should also be about right for wheel to wheel on a Yukon/Tahoe like the OP asked about.

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
I have a friend making me some for my truck. I like the ones he has built for other 4runners and Tacoma's and his 4runner is BALLIN'. Mine are 105" long and run fender to fender with 5 legs going to the frame. I'm getting them mostly for the looks, but the functionality of steps add too the reason why I want them.
Might want to shorten them up a hair IMO. Mine were 100" long and I've already cut the back off about 8"s and if the front edge was any longer I'd have to chop it up too (after I pushed the front axle forward ~4"s now). I know you're staying with 35-37's's, but I never wanted bigger than 35's, then no bigger than 38's, now:hmm: Just keep avenues open as long as it doesn't hurt you now.

·
meow
15,748 Posts
Might want to shorten them up a hair IMO. Mine were 100" long and I've already cut the back off about 8"s and if the front edge was any longer I'd have to chop it up too (after I pushed the front axle forward ~4"s now). I know you're staying with 35-37's's, but I never wanted bigger than 35's, then no bigger than 38's, now:hmm: Just keep avenues open as long as it doesn't hurt you now.
I remember one of your posts saying you never wanted to go bigger than 33's :crazy: YOu ifs, at tire, replacement bumper afishionado (major spelling there :jester: )

·
DeepSouth Gangster
5,669 Posts
Hmm, that is what I measured with a pussy ass tape by myself. I'll get someone else to measure with me and then send Brad a PM.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I've dropped hard on my sliders and the 2x3 box tube is holding up fine but the 1-1/2" HREW round is dented (higher dent resistance than 1-3/4 HREW) and bent in one place from a hard hit.

My runners (all 4 of them) on both sides are bowed a bit. I'm putting in some gussets as I mounted alot of my exo to them.
Yea i thought that they might have some trouble takeing the weight of a Yukon....so my plans have changed a bit...im thinking im gonna go with a 6in suspension lift and some 35's....then get some sliders made to fit right and take the weight.....

Thanks
-Pete

1 - 16 of 16 Posts