GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My headlights are yellow and my brother is telling me to buy some off ebay with "cups" that are in front of the bulb, says it will work better with HIDs, his stock wrx headlights have the cups.

I've seen some on ebay that have them, the "tyc altezza" style do. I just wonder if the HIDs fit, they are a bit longer than the halogen bulbs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-9..._trkparms=65:12|39:1|72:1171#ebayphotohosting
Those look like they might have them but the picture's not that good. I'm having a hard time finding TYC altezzas for OBS.

Anyone with this combo?

·
I like 'em white
2,749 Posts
The stock lights have those don't they?
Probably not because the stock 9006 bulbs have that painted tip that pretty much does the same thing. I have no experience with silvy headlights but my crystal clear S10 headlights did have the same shield over the bulb. The HID bulb barely cleared but it still fit however the light pattern sucked so bad I went back to the stockers within a day or two. Even with the glare shield they still put out a ton of scattered light. Most aftermarket headlights just arent as good as stock and I would venture to guess this would be the same with silvy clears.

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
Probably not because the stock 9006 bulbs have that painted tip that pretty much does the same thing. I have no experience with silvy headlights but my crystal clear S10 headlights did have the same shield over the bulb. The HID bulb barely cleared but it still fit however the light pattern sucked so bad I went back to the stockers within a day or two. Even with the glare shield they still put out a ton of scattered light. Most aftermarket headlights just arent as good as stock and I would venture to guess this would be the same with silvy clears.
My 2005 Silverado had them and it used 9006's

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My brothers wrx has them stock and the stock bulb for his inst 900x something its some japanese thing but they are painted on the front as well, same with my buddie's wife's impala, it takes probably the same 9005 and 9006 that anything else does that are painted on the front but it has factory cups too.

But OBS didn't have the cups stock and from what I'm hearing I guess I'm best off with factory type lights it sounds like.

TYCs worth the money or am I just going to be replacing them in 2 years like I would some cheap chinese off brand?

·
I like 'em white
2,749 Posts
Factory "works" better, clears "look" better so its what you want. I just wouldnt expect to much from aftermarket housings. Some people seem to really like their aftermarket headlights tho so I would wait to hear from them since I dont have any experience with those exact headlights

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So what about this, if the beam pattern sucks on with hids installed in aftermarket housings with cups...

and high-up illegal HID bulbs pulling up behind a black and white crown vic at a stop light could be bad in ways ranging from a $50-$200 fine for bad lights up to jail and huge fines if other non-light-related prerequisites are met...

and the hid bulbs are probably too skinny for me putting some paint on the end to have any effect...

what if I found some way to attach a .5"-.75" mirror or some shiny metal to the front of the hid bulbs facing rearward? It'd maybe block all the glaring light redirecting it toward the reflector?

Or is that getting too ghetto-rigged to even consider doing much less posting about on the world-wide infohighway thing?

·
is Bi-Winning and a
8,241 Posts
These are the ones im using with my HID's. They are projector lenses in the low beam side and produce a clean cut-off line. Very very little light goes above that line. I have been flashed only 4-5 times in over a year of having HID's and these lights.

LINK

·
Your HID Preferred Vendor
2,595 Posts
I would start with HIDs, and if you thought you had a problem, then upgrade the housings. Aftermarket stuff is hit or miss. And if you are going to upgrade anyways, and know you want HID, go projector. They will probably take an H-1 instead of a 9006. Also, painting a bulb would be worthless as most light that you see coming out is reflected off of the housing anyways.

·
Puttin 4 Bird
5,842 Posts
i have the clear lights from avs. They don't have the little shield in front of the bulb. I just pointed it down so the glare isn't too bad.

·
Registered
506 Posts
You won't find a better light for the OBS than the TYC's.....had them on my '98 and they fit perfect and great light output if you get a decent bulb. They actually make a lot of oem lights for manufacturers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts