GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I know there are a few dodge guys on here. Also you non dodge guys can probably help as well. I've got a 2005 Dodge with the 24v cummins. Bone stock except for a deleted muffler, which I did a long time ago. Yesterday I got in it to run to town, and as I was coming onto the highway I floored it. At about 50 mph it shut down like it had a governor, and also made a huge hiss as the rpms dropped dramatically. Now it did this every time I floored it, and at regular speed started to have a faint whine. If I didn't get on it I could get up to speed, but it still didn't like it around 70 mph. Came home and searched the dodge forums, and didn't have much success. First thought was it was starving for fuel. Went outside to start trouble shooting and started with the air filter due to ease of access. This is what it looked like in the box:

:flame:

Picked up a new air filter and it now doesn't shut off at wot, but still has a whine while accelerating at normal speed. What could cause this? I know it wasn't there before this shit started happening. Tomorrow i'm going to change the fuel filter but after that I really don't want to be dumping money in a fuel pump or a lift pump. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would assume sucked in? Hell if i know though.

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts
I just ask because if that's how it looked when you pulled it, IIRC the foam is in the bottom so the filter would have been pushed out.

If the opposite was true I'd suspect you pulled some filter media into the turbo. Even though the material is light little fins spinning 50-100k rpm don't enjoy it hitting them. Have you pulled the intake tube to verify there's no material clinging to the baffles and just waiting to go into the turbo?

BTW, while a 24v, your motor is a HPCR 600. There were a lot of 24v iterations and a lot changed during those revisions. A 99 6bt 24v is completely different than an early 07 6bt 24v.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The intake tube was clean. So I honestly have no clue. It actually pulls harder with the new filter than the day i bought it. My buddy is a diesel mechanic and looked at it this weekend. He said it seems to be something on the turbo.

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts
Did you bark the turbo hard before this all happened?

Stock it shouldn't be an issue and it shouldn't create positive pressure ever inside the intake tube, but I'm trying to wrap my head around how you got the filter to look like that.

Something is not friends, are you still under the 100k engine warranty? I'd take it in and have them go over it, the techs probably won't be able to diagnose it specifically if it's something internal to the turbo but they may just replace it. You'll just have to wait the couple of days it takes them to get a new HE351.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What do you mean by "bark" the turbo? I have 87k miles on it but I'm not sure if I have any kind of warranty on it. I've never seen an air filter do that so I'm still puzzled about how in the hell it got like that.

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts
What do you mean by "bark" the turbo? I have 87k miles on it but I'm not sure if I have any kind of warranty on it. I've never seen an air filter do that so I'm still puzzled about how in the hell it got like that.
Barking the turbo is when you load it up creating a lot of boost and then abruptly let off. The large pressure head in front of the turbo is suddenly no longer being pulled into the motor with the furvor it was before so it exerts momentary pressure on the turbine wheel in the opposite direction to the force being exerted on the compressor wheel putting strain on the cross shaft. In doing so it makes a fluttering kind of noise from the turbulence that exists form basically trying to stall the turbo out.

The 100k mile motor warranty should be a transferable with the vehicle. Call your local Dodge dealerhsip and ask about it, you should still be covered for any engine work.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now that I think about it I did romp on it and let off immediately because the fucking bitch in front of me slammed on her brakes instead of maintaining speed to merge. Then as soon as she got out of the way I floored it and it shut down on me. I'll call my dodge dealership today and see what they say.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts