GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I tow with cruise unless I have a big load.

·
Registered
142 Posts
towing with cruise on should be better.............the pcm controls all...so under towing with cruise on it seems the pcm would make adjustments on its own relative to what the engine needs to perform the best......rather than your left foot making adjustments to what you think the engine needs.......could this be true????

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
What the engine "needs" is gas...the more you give it, the more it goes. Thats the way it is whether the pcm is controlling it or you are. The difference is that the computer is dumb in a way, it can't adjust for changing conditions. All it thinks is "truck is slowing down, add gas to stay at preset of 70mph". So, if you hit a big hill, the pcm will give it as much gas as it has to to try and hold 70mph. A person on the other hand can see an upcoming hill and plan according, slowing down etc. Besides, I use my right foot. :anitoof:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Man, I worked on a ranch this past summer for my girlfriends dad and we hauled 13,000 + lbs. of cattle all summer with cruise control on. Granite it was a diesel but I've towed plenty of 24 foot cattle trailers filled with cattle and I was using my chevy single cab log bed half ton. Pulled like a champ with cruise on.

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
If your on flat land towing in OD with cruise on is fine. If your towing up a hill I would not drive in cruise. I get better response and control from my truck controlling my truck myself up hills....up hills = no cruise and stay in 3rd.

Cameron

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
im glad i don't have to worry about cruise...since i don't have it...but i never tow, and i never leave the city, so i wouldn't have to worry about usin it towin anyways.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts