GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Member #1303
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
who here runs 38s on 1/2 ton ifs and actually takes it offroad? what do you count as "offroad"?

disclaimer:
i went driving around in a construction site today and it was a ton of fun and i'm going to be so ripshit if i do all these upgrades and my trucks just gonna snap under me climbing over some rocks and stuff. that is why i started this thread. i'm not trying to acuse anyone of "not being hardcore."

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
Many members have taken their trucks in the dunes with 38's+ at Pismo beach on 1/2 ton IFS. I believe there is a meet there soon as well, keep an eye out for photos :D

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I broke 2 cv shafts climbing over some rocks with stock 29-30" tires or so... Broke one then broke the other a week later... That was on the 9.25" 1 ton IFS. So good luck with the 38" setup :crazy:

·
GMFS founding member
4,009 Posts
willyswanter said:
Not to be a dick, but sand isn't exactly "hardcore" as thArf puts it...
:word: 33s are the limit for serious wheeling on any IFS setup short of an H1, and you have to be careful at that, especially if you're not locked :imo

·
2,451 Posts
Your front end is going to shit on you if you wheel on rocks with 38's. Hell, i wouldnt even wheel rocks with 35's. If you've seen that hummer video, he was driving slowly on rocks, with 3\4 ton ifs, and breaks a tierod, like it was a pretzel stick. Wheeling rocks in halfton ifs is a :badidea: The only thing i would wheel with that setup would be mud and sand :read:

·
Proud Chevy Owner
859 Posts
why would you wheel your daily driver in rocks though? You know the body and other things are going to get fucked up no matter what mods tires or engine you have.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
KoTToN said:
why would you wheel your daily driver in rocks though? You know the body and other things are going to get fucked up no matter what mods tires or engine you have.
Thats what exo's are for :crazy:

·
Member #1303
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the only thing we have around here are rocks and thats what i've driven on (relatively) problem free since i got the truck. granted i use 31x10.5 xterrains, which makes it tricky but it works. and yes, i do have some serious rocker panel damage on one side of the truck. since that day i havent done anything really stupid.

i don't know if any of you have been to the northeast, but try to picture clay mud with rocks everywhere like chocolate chip cookie dough. even the trails are littered with rocks.

i have a 3" body lift, and i just put on cutout flares. i also have a rancho 4" kit that i havent installed yet. i could run 40s if i wanted to, but for me its more than just looking cool. i want my truck to be as functional as it is now, if not more so.

so now i'm thinking i'll get some 36 or 38 PJs for the winter and when i go to the beach, and some 36x12.5 tsl radials and put them on my current 15x8 rims for wheeling, and summer use. 4.88 gearing.

anyone have any suggestions?

what is exo? exoskeleton? outside roll cages?

·
RIP Jason
4,089 Posts
yah i had 40's out in the dunes this trip.....it was a pretty tame trip for me but i did hit really hard once and a few other nice ones too. Nothing bad happened besides my tires rubbing the sway bar and torsion bars. Stupid ass backspacing :pissed:

·
Kyle
1,684 Posts
willyswanter said:
Not to be a dick, but sand isn't exactly "hardcore" as thArf puts it...
yeah ooooo sand watchout!!!!!

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
half ton IFS + 38s + wheeling = bad idea. You will be ok if you go VERY easy on EASY terrain, anything else is a disaster waiting to happen. May not happen the first time you do it, but trust me it WILL happen.

·
is awesome
2,263 Posts
:word: ive seen bad things happen with even just 36's on a ifs and wheeling

1 - 17 of 17 Posts