GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
haz 12"s!
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im still torn on what setup I want to run. Coming up with 3 cu ft is challenging in these trucks. What kind of affect does the box shape have on sound?

·
Officially Tucking Tire
8,919 Posts
what ideas do you have?

id love to get 3ft^3 under the seat

·
haz 12"s!
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im thinking maybe a T shaped box that replaces the console and goes partially under the seats. There is just no way to get 3 cu ft under the seats. Even raising the seat 2", its just barely 2 cu ft.

Im still torn between 1 ported L7 12 or just get 2 round 12s in a small ported box. Id love to get some SPLs out of it.

·
Officially Tucking Tire
8,919 Posts
if you glass the bottom you can get more air space. cornell got 2ft^3 that way with out raising the seat.

i was also thinking about having the box follow the center hump and meet the center console instead of replacing it.

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
you better not, dont go looking in my build thread!

Actually, the weirder the shape with as few right angles and parallel sides the better the sound to help with standing waves inside the box

G

·
I made 2 boxes for the same subs and amps. One was one simple chamber and the other was a tshape. The tshaped boxed was less responsive. Both were hideous :lol:

Dscf0298.jpg

boxmock.jpg

·
Registered
353 Posts
that's because of the phasing mismatch how you put your subs in the T box and then the other box has added gain from loading the subs and their placement in the cabin.

·
haz 12"s!
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you better not, dont go looking in my build thread!

Actually, the weirder the shape with as few right angles and parallel sides the better the sound to help with standing waves inside the box
crap.. hafta find that... ;)

·
haz 12"s!
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that's because of the phasing mismatch how you put your subs in the T box and then the other box has added gain from loading the subs and their placement in the cabin.
Yeah, I was worried about some weird cancellation issues being that its not just an open square, but Im only gonna be using 1 sub if I go this route.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Yeah, I was worried about some weird cancellation issues being that its not just an open square, but Im only gonna be using 1 sub if I go this route.
Not only that, but I think he was referring to the subs being downfire and preloading off the floor of the truck. Both have big effects.

The general idea of this thread is that it has a huge say in how it will sound. If you're willing and need the airspace, a center console is always the way to go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts