GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 07 silverado has had a slight clunk when i take off from a stop (only after a fast stop though). its been doing it for a few years, and i just wanna make sure its not harming my tranny or rear end or anything.

·
Registered
73 Posts
from my understand when its clunking like that...greasing it real good seems to stop it...and i dont think it really hurts anything..but its annoying..its just old grease in there and instead of the slack moving freely its sticking under hard breaking and when take off its a slight pop or clunk..think about it this way when you take off and your driveshaft it turning one way and highway speeds and then you hit the brakes real hard.....the back brakes start grabbing more than they would under normal braking..which cause the rotation of the driveshaft slows alot faster than it would under normal braking...so newtons law about object in motion tend to wanna stay in motion comes into play..when your taking off the transmission is apply force one way and then when you brake it the rear brakes are applying for in the opposite direction of the transmission...so when you have a two piece driveshaft with a slip yoke...that tiny bit of slack that they have it moves between braking and accelerating..and when the grease in them is old sometimes the tend to stick after hard breaking and then pop or cluck back when taking off or accelerating.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts