GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a few weeks ago after getting my trans cooler lines replace the truck started to mark its territory. Then it got better, now it only leaks after a long drive, however its definitely trans fluid because its red, and its coming from the smaller of the two inspection covers on the bellhousing, the one closest to the pan. i gather this is the front pump seal that has finally warped and gone out. Does this sound correct? Should I get this serviced at the dealer or have a shop do the repair?

·
Registered
73 Posts
sounds like a pump seal to me...you dont have to get it done at a dealer...unless you just want to i guess..a good trans shop might give you a better deal i feel like. id call around and get some quotes and see what you can come up with

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
my 06 leaked from there at 30K miles covered under warranty. Sounds like the same for you. Still have the GPS? :)

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Called a shop today and the guy doesnt think its the seal, since it only leaks as it gets driven/fluid gets hotter. He seemed to think the pump bushing has worn and is causing the leak. Recommended a rebuild at that point. Not sure how I feel about that, said usually if the seal leaks then it will leak constantly, but mine only does it after driving it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
How many miles are on it? Unless it has lots of miles, I'd replace the seal. If it leaks again, then it is probably time to replace the bushing.

I've replaced probably 5 or so throughout the years on different vehicles and they never leaked again.

·
00silvy
3,679 Posts
Called a shop today and the guy doesnt think its the seal, since it only leaks as it gets driven/fluid gets hotter. He seemed to think the pump bushing has worn and is causing the leak. Recommended a rebuild at that point. Not sure how I feel about that, said usually if the seal leaks then it will leak constantly, but mine only does it after driving it.
Yeah I'm sure he would recommend a full rebuild since that costs you way more

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Truck has 71xxx miles on it. Still shifts and runs well enough. I talked to 3 places, last guy said we'll start with the seal, then maybe figure in a pump and TC, he was still under the cost of everyone else. So probably going to go with him.

·
STOCK TRUCK
1,324 Posts
Only way to know is to drop the whole thing. I say while its out, do some upgrades.

·
Banned
37 Posts
Take your vaseline and a condom, cause you are about to get fukked ,,royal,,no way a pump housing can warp and with that few miles i doubt it will be a bushing, put on your big boy pants and pull it yourself, seal is cheap, fluid is cheap, taking it to a shop is the easy way out,,unless you have a pile of money you want to part with , this could easily be done at home over a weekend.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts