GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
GMFS founding member
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
cost me $58 to have the steel cut, I would have done it myself but it had to be clean and I can't do clean with a torch. 3/16" with a recessed pan with a drain plug to catch anything that decides to leak. bolted to the crossmembers with 3/8 bolts, protects the transmission pan and transfer case. oil pan up and behind the axle so it's not really exposed to anything I am going to wheel over.

skidplate001.jpg

the old one was worthless

skidplate004.jpg

not a certified welder

skidplate012.jpg

I need a 3rd crossmember

·
GMFS founding member
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well it was either that or cut a drain hole in my garage floor and it's 36" thick cement. transmission runs at such high pressures when I drive it hard I get some blowby from the vent.

·
4,725 Posts
Nice man, might want to roll some beads to pick up strength since it is 3/16.

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
Nice man, might want to roll some beads to pick up strength since it is 3/16.
That would require some massive pressure and force to feed 3/16 through a roller and get any result.

I like it though, keeps the crap from the mag case and tranny pan and makes the underbelly a little more aerodymanic(not that it matters:crazy: ). Catching drips is a definite plus, mine has a thin film of tranny fluid in it right now that I don't have a provision to remove other than drop panels. Obviously its a 3/4 ton longbed crew deisel, its not going to go get high centered on some rocks so your material choice seems more than apt.

What were you using to weld it up though if I might ask?

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
good deal. gotta love homebrew stuff

·
GMFS founding member
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What were you using to weld it up though if I might ask?
Lincoln SP-175 turned up to about J feeding .035 wire.

*edit when I say it cost me $58 to have the steel cut, that was including the steel. whole project cost me $58, time, hardware, paint, electricity and tools are all perks of my job.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts