GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
GPS Guru
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few nights ago I was driving... somebody said something about the parking brakes on NBS trucks being complete shit. I was out to prove them wrong, as I usually do... But this time it worked a little different. So I stomped on my e-brake and expected to come to a screeching halt. Instead I just kept on rolling... Well, he was right. Parking brakes suck. But not only that, I had so much mud caked up on my e-brake cable that when the cable pulled tight, it ripped a shitload of ground wires out of my frame! This caused every light on the dash to come on, all the gauges stuck, and my 4 wheel drive wouldnt lock in! Talk about a pain in the ass... I washed the mud out from under it and reconnected all the wires and reset the computer and she's all good now. Just a lesson for you... :anitoof:

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
I ripped my e-brake shit out close to a year ago now after it self destructed.

·
I'll Take teh Case!
1,918 Posts
I thought parking brakes were suppose to be used for parking... :crazy:

I have to agree about them sucking though. I can push mine all the way to the floor and it hardly feels like any tension. I guess I need to try and tighen up the cables. And thats another thing, I hate how the e-brake cable hangs from underneath the cab and you can see it. Not a big problem, just a small annoyance...

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
The one in my firebird works well, haven't really tried the one in my truck since it isn't a standard...I use the one in the bird everytime i park as well as put it in 1st gear or reverse

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
The dealership should fix it. In my old truck it worked great, couldnt move the truck with it on but my parents Tahoe doesnt work. I have been told that if they dont work you need to take it in right away or it can cause damage. I can't remember what kind of damage though. My new truck works great and doesnt good anywhere near the floor when I use it.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
What happens is this. The parkign brake is a drum inside the hat of the rotor basically. The clip that holds the brake shoe in is a shitty design, and breaks very easy. The shoe then is loose and expands, and WILL wear out the inside of your rotors. By the time your brake isnt working, its typially too late, you need 2 new brake shoes, 2 new rotors, and the new improved clip. Gets very pricey. Thats why mine is sitting in my garage in a bin with otehr parts ive ripped off and bown shocks.

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
What happens is this. The parkign brake is a drum inside the hat of the rotor basically. The clip that holds the brake shoe in is a shitty design, and breaks very easy. The shoe then is loose and expands, and WILL wear out the inside of your rotors. By the time your brake isnt working, its typially too late, you need 2 new brake shoes, 2 new rotors, and the new improved clip. Gets very pricey. Thats why mine is sitting in my garage in a bin with otehr parts ive ripped off and bown shocks.
Yeah thats what I was told, by a GM mechanic. I just couldnt remember all that off the top of my head but that sounds right.

·
Registered
308 Posts
the e-brake is designed to take the strain of the parking paw in the automatic tranny and told hold the car in place in a manual. the design is actually rather effective, yeah it'll stop the truck eventually from high speeds, but thats why they call it an emergency brake, not an everyday brake. all e-brakes increase stopping distance over the regular brakes dramatically. but oh well thats just my two cents along with my teachers at school....thats why they get paid the big bucks

·
Handshake Drugs
310 Posts
My sister learned the parking brake in my old Jeep worked pretty well. We were teaching her how to drive a stick and so she was pretty new to everything. So we were entering town and she tries to downshift. She tries to press in the clutch but instead presses the e-brake. We do a complete 180 in the middle of the road and my sister just holds the steering wheel straight and screams her head off while im laughin my head off. My sister never drove my Jeep again cause she woulda probly wrecked the thing. Shes never drivin my truck either. :bowtie:

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
my parking brake hasn't worked since the day i got my truck. I've been lazy

·
Registered
255 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
What happens is this. The parkign brake is a drum inside the hat of the rotor basically. The clip that holds the brake shoe in is a shitty design, and breaks very easy. The shoe then is loose and expands, and WILL wear out the inside of your rotors. By the time your brake isnt working, its typially too late, you need 2 new brake shoes, 2 new rotors, and the new improved clip. Gets very pricey.

:word: and GM won't cover it underwarranty something about "brakes are a part that are designed to wear out".went to 4 differant dealerships, all with the same response. cost me $280 fix. in DFW, you won't pass inspection if it doesn't work properly. :pissed: :flame:

according to several people i've talked to, the best way to keep it in good operating order is to use it at least once a day. i now use it everytime i put the truck in park.

·
Registered
308 Posts
same for me....everytime i park the truck its on. my dad drilled it into my head when i was learning how to drive. and i guess it stuck. and yes if you park on hills its very good to hold your truck with the parking brake and not the parking paw in the transmission, thats the cheap part...not necessarily the e-brake.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts