GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have suicided the doors on my truck now and Im working out the new bear claw latches. I was originally planning on just going with a solenoid and having poppers. I like to do things differently so I came up with the idea to relocate a small door handle (like a mazda miata) on the bottom side of my mirrors(street scene). I would just need to run a short pull cable from the handle to the latch. No worries about dead batteries and not being able to get into my truck plus the handles would still be "shaved" off the body.

Your thoughts or ideas, good or bad, are appreciated!
thanks

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
i think it would be badass if you relocated the handles to somewhere towards the front... they would just have to be pretty squarish. I think if u used something like the vette handles it would look funny

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
That would be interesting and original. The miata handles are pretty much flush mounted right? Would the street scene mirrors be strong enough to support the handle being pulled on over a period of time?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea the strenghth of the mirrors is my main concern. Miata door handles are the only tiny ones that I know of.....having a hard time finding a set too. If anyone knows of some other small ones or aftermarket ones Id love to hear some alternatives.

·
trucknut
412 Posts
I think that if I was to do my doorhandles over again, I would use corvette handles instead of shaving them.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
that would be cool as hell to put the handles i the bottom of your mirrors. but, like everyone has said, I'm not sure of the mirror would hold up.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Are you gonna relocate the door lock too? cause it wouldn't do you shit for good if you were gonna use it as a backup.. The battery is dead powerlocks are not gonna work.

Sweat idea though. Maybe relocate a manual pop to the cowl area. You could work it in and it wouldn't be noticable.

Shaved handles are illegal around here cause the popo and firemen won't be able to get you out. (dunno why they even bought the jaws of life)

·
Wheel guy
700 Posts
Why not just run a backup cable to a hidden spot behind the rollpan or something. Thats what I am going to do with mine when I shave the doors. I will definitely have a trick emergency cable hidden somewhere.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
IntroWheels said:
Why not just run a backup cable to a hidden spot behind the rollpan or something. Thats what I am going to do with mine when I shave the doors. I will definitely have a trick emergency cable hidden somewhere.
Magnetic locks work too. There are a few street rods set up like that.

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,251 Posts
why not make the mirror itself the "door handle"? Just pull the mirror towards the front of the truck and the doors pops open...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts