GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
GMFS founding member
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was at the dealership today checking on getting my hinges replaced. they are pretty weak and a gust of wind bent my door at a 90 degree. $400 for each hinge. i asked if i could just bend over instead, it would be less painful. the bodyman was cool and showed me how to fix them myself... time to bust out the lincoln and the grinder. and some touch up paint.

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
how the hell did u bend ur hinges? I doubt a just of wind could do that... I've had my doors open in some pretty windy times, and my doors are fine. And no i'm not talking about pussy lil winds, i'm talking about winds that knock trees over.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
thats the reason I went with suicides....I got new doors and it was alot of work/money to buy new stock hinges and mount the doors.

·
GMFS founding member
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2k1slvrdo said:
how the hell did u bend ur hinges? I doubt a just of wind could do that... I've had my doors open in some pretty windy times, and my doors are fine. And no i'm not talking about pussy lil winds, i'm talking about winds that knock trees over.
summer storms in PA. 50-60mph winds are not uncommon. tornado passed just north of here in may, we got golfball-sized hail, torrential downpours, damaging lightning, 60mph winds, etc. i opened my door in the middle of it.

·
GMFS Sr. Canadian Member
4,519 Posts
stuff like that happens. it happened to my mom. she opened the door and a gust of wind caught the door and threw it open.

·
Registered
788 Posts
hovisimo said:
summer storms in PA. 50-60mph winds are not uncommon. tornado passed just north of here in may, we got golfball-sized hail, torrential downpours, damaging lightning, 60mph winds, etc. i opened my door in the middle of it.

You ought to try a TX summer storm. :insane:

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
that aint shit.. come to oklahoma for a tornado... maybe the may 3rd tornado in 99 i think it was.. that shit was crazy they almost had to call it an F6

·
Rollin with Saget
1,594 Posts
to hell with all of yall. i live in north florida. rains almost everyday and havent had a hurricane make landfall here in almost a decade i think.

jacksonville fl, nothing to do... but no big storms.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
Hell...my door got pulled too far open (my dumbass mistake) and it didn't bend the henges...bent the damn door...now i need a new door skin but that will come later on...some shit was built better 15 yrs ago it seems.

·
GMFS founding member
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Badassilverado said:
Was the $400 for some sort of labor charge too? I had the hinges on both of my doors replaced awhile back b/c they squeeked. They nearly refused to do it but in the end I ended up w/ new hinges under warranty. Didn't know they were that expensive though.
nope, $400 for each hinge. they're welded to the door and the door jamb so labor would be a nightmare, so the bodyman said.

i fixed them myself with a mig welder. just gotta get some touch up paint and you'll never be able to tell.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts