GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
9,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to put a system in my Dodge and I want to eventually take out the Infinity that is in there now. I plan to have 2 ported infinity perfect 10's running off about 500 watts total, and I need to figure out what door speakers to run. I will eventually get better subs and put prolly 800-1000 watts on the subs. I just want something with really good SQ that gets loud at the same time. I dont need ear bleeding highs and vommiting lows. I had that in my Tahoe and I don't need THAT much system again.

The problem is that I have 3.5" in the dash, 6x9 in the front doors, and 5.25" in the back doors. I want to have a nice crisp system and I will be putting 5.25" in the back for the rear passengers (at least for now I am). Now my thing is I want to run all the same brand and level on for the speakers. Due to that I can't run the sscs Crystal speakers that I was wanting to run. I was thinking either MB Quart, Kicker KS, or something along those lines. Please help me out.

Also due to the fact how the dash is so far from the door speakers in the front I think that a component set would be hard to get the imaging right on. Thanks.

9,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the suggestion

After hearing only one set of CDT's I will NEVER own a pair. My buddy installed them (with my help and then the local stereo shops) and they were horrible. It was prolly just a bad batch, but it ruined them for me.

I have had/heard Kicker KS, Kicker RS, MB Q's, JL Audio XR's, Infinity Pefects, and Crystal SSCS's. I loved how the RS, Q's, XR's, and the Crystals sounded, but for the money the Crystal wins hands down. My biggest thing is they don't make the upper lines with a 3.5" speaker :(

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
What year truck is that?
why even mess with crappy 3 1/2s? Put some tweeters up there or maybe even get some 6x9 comps or 6 1/2 comps and make some plates in the doors for the round speaker

9,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What year truck is that?
why even mess with crappy 3 1/2s? Put some tweeters up there or maybe even get some 6x9 comps or 6 1/2 comps and make some plates in the doors for the round speaker
It is a 2002 NBS Dodge Quad Cab. My thinking was to run a set of Kicker SS or Kicker RS components, but the space between the door speaker to the dash tweeter made me think the imaging would be thrown off really bad.

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
It is a 2002 NBS Dodge Quad Cab. My thinking was to run a set of Kicker SS or Kicker RS components, but the space between the door speaker to the dash tweeter made me think the imaging would be thrown off really bad.
you could just phase invert the tweeter, that should get your imagining back

9,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you could just phase invert the tweeter, that should get your imagining back
very interesting...well what would you do then? Kicker KS 3.5" 6x9" and 5.25 in the back doors or just one really nice set of components in the front?

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
i love my infinity kappas

btw, any new shots of ur truck with the new add ons?

9,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i love my infinity kappas

btw, any new shots of ur truck with the new add ons?
actually no man...i ordered a new digital camera that should be here by the end of the week just so I can snap shots of my truck and mods when I feel like it...i should have an update by the end of the week.

·
Kyle
1,684 Posts
I didn't like my CDT's either, guess it just isn't my cup of tea.

9,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I didn't like my CDT's either, guess it just isn't my cup of tea.
The ones in my buddies truck were complete shit...you could listen to them for like 5 minutes at full tilt before the tweeters would cut out til you turned it down. I will NEVER buy another set of CDT's unless I personally hear a set that SHOCKS me.

·
GMFS founding member
4,009 Posts
go back to infinity and get kappas
new Kappas are garbage, not in terms of SQ but in terms of build quality. the speakers will quit and the crossovers will fall apart. fact.

but they sure do look pretty! get a 6x9 to 6.5 plate, screw it in place and seal it off with sound deadener. I'd forget about the dash speakers and even forget about rear speakers and just go with a really good set of comps up front and some subs in the back.

8251e633.jpg

be2e5a04.jpg

be7e121c.jpg

9,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
that looks awesome man...I don't know about messing up my doors to mount some tweeters tho. I thought about putting them up on the Sail (part at top of door) but I am not sure...what amps are you running and what door speakers are those?

·
GMFS founding member
4,009 Posts
that looks awesome man...I don't know about messing up my doors to mount some tweeters tho. I thought about putting them up on the Sail (part at top of door) but I am not sure...what amps are you running and what door speakers are those?
I used a 1.75" holesaw IIRC, just be careful, measure twice and cut once. Kappa 6.5 comps running off Alpine 9835 headunit, Perfect 10s running of Alpine M601 digital.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts