GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to get my homebrew doubler setup in before going to Moab. Since I finished my remodel job I'd been on in 3 months yesterday I finally have time and started today.

I dissassembled the old 4401 I had laying around down to the bare cases. I then used a band saw and cut off the front output half of the case. I then milled a cover for this open end:

I also had to machine out the old bearing retainer setup out of the rear half of the case. I was setup for the yoke to bolt onto it and that wasn't going to happen anymore. So I machined a new bearing retainer (left) and a new bearing spacer (right):

Bearing retainer bolted into place:

Bearing and spacer installed. It just so happened that the bearing that held the front output shaft in place was a perfect fit so I used it:

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Front half re-assembled. I didn't have any diagrams or a rebuild kit so I hope I got it right :D :

Case assembled and end cap in place:

View from rear:

Tomorrow's project is to build the adapter that will bolt to the two cases together and then possibly get them installed in the truck... I have to build a new crossmember and new driveshafts but that won't take too long.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Low riders want switches, 4 wheelers want SHIFTERS! :evil:

Sweet, as if the 5.13's and 454 didn't give you enough oomph :crazy: What are the gear ratios?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1st gear with both cases in low will be 94-1 where I was at 34-1 before. If my tranny ever dies, I'm going to rebuild it with a lower 2.75-1 1st gear planetary from TCI and that will throw me into 104-1. I've been in trucks with 1st gears from 30-1 to 300-1 and 100-1 seems about perfect, anything less is not quite enough and anything more is too slow.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whifflebat said:
Nice. :drool:

You ever thought about swapping in a manual? I'm a fan of that 5-something to 1 first gear on the nv4500...
Never, I can't stand rocking in a manual equipped machine. I just don't have 3 feet no matter how hard I try. Plus the torque converter is like a 2-1 reduction right there.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
nice, what material did you mill the cover out of? I know some people have had issues not using teh same material as teh case and when it all heatrs one one expands more than anotehr and it leaks... Im sure you probably are ahead of me though.

·
6,656 Posts
ok good deal. I know some people used steel when the case was magnesium or something and had issues.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I was curious to see if mine was mag or aluminum so I swept up all the shavings from the bandsaw and tried to light it on fire, just melted so it was aluminum :crazy:

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just finished painting it. I wanted the dupont color change but walmart was out so I went with hammerite grey :D . I'll do the other case when I drop it to bolt it up to the back of this one. Too bad it will be covered with a 3/8" skid but oh well, I'll know it's purdy under there :evil:

·
6,656 Posts
makes the dirt not stick as well, so it has more to it than looking perty.

·
Registered
162 Posts
A manual transmission requires I lower crawl ratio. That is why people switch to automatics from sm465's all the time (sm465 has a 6.55:1 granny gear)...

Nice job Jason.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts