GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....that is the question..

I'm kinda torn here. If i get a box that fits behind the rear seat..i am still able to lay down my back seat. Although i would have to remove the side vents...

If i get a down firing box..i don't have to worry about moving anything in the rear.. minus making room for my amp.. yet... i wouldn't be able to lay the seats down..

here are the 2 boxes in question...

http://www.subthump.com/silverado.htm
item:CHDBamp
mounting depth: 5.25
air space: .5ea.

http://www.subthump.com/gmcrewLT.htm

I have a 2005 GMC Sierra CC...1500... nonHD...

I've also looked @ a probox.. but i'm unsure if one would fit in my truck...also i'm unsure of the price...

Which do you guys prefer???

·
Registered
50 Posts
i have mine behind the seat. either way you wont be able to lay the seats down all the way without giving them some help. they will go down easier if the box is behind the seat and the amps are under it. dont buy any of those boxes. you can make one for a 1/3 of the price and it will perform better. removing the black vents is no big deal . neither is removing the jack. it fits nicely under the passenger front seat. here's mine

1230061344.jpg

·
Registered
50 Posts
yep. but my subs were pretty deep so i moved my rear bench forward 2". you can find pretty good subs that will perform well that will fit without having to mod the bench. i made that box with 3/4 mdf. its super strong. i wrapped it with a 1/4 foam to make it kinda soft looking. than wrapped it with carbonfiber vynal. i bought some bigger subs to throw in but i will have to make a fiberglass box for those. my 2 amps are on an amp rack under the rear seat. i'm making a fiberglass rack for those too. making a box is a piece of cake.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still have the specs on the box you made...or no? And you're right... it does look quite soft. :p

And are those 10's?

·
Registered
50 Posts
yes they are 10's. its about 54" long and 11" tall. the bottom is 8" and the top is 5.5". but i could fit it because i moved the bench forward. the box is divided so each sub has its own airspace.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
whats the mounting depth on those 10's? I have 2 12's..(P5's)(they came out of my old explorer) but i'm having to get rid of them b/c even without a box...the mounting depth is too large. :banghead:

I'm highly considering making my own box... now only if i had the right tools... :hmm:

·
Registered
50 Posts
the mounting depth is about 5.5". you got find something under that to fit without doing any modifying or fiberglassing to have a quality box. all you need is a skill saw and a reciprocating(sp) saw. it was the first box i had ever made. so it doesnt take much build one for behind the back seat. under the seat would take a lot more work to get any descent mounting depth.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hmm... but that was 5.5" for you though... if i were to leave my seats alone.. i would only have around 3.5 - 4" (which isn't enough for anything). Is it hard to move the seats up?

·
Registered
50 Posts
you can still use a 5.5" mounting depth sub. i have an inch of air space between the back of the sub and back of the box. use 5/8" mdf for the back of the box and 3/4" for the front, sides, bottom and top. my new RE subs have a mounting depth of 6". they will fit too but only by building a box out of fiberglass. moving the seats is not to hard. i made it a lot harder than it had to be. i drilled new holes and ran new bolts and still left the stock bolts in place which meant that i had to cut a little of the seat rails to fit around the stock bolts. i wish i just cut the stock bolts off. it would have made things so much easier and cleaner. but i left them incase i wanted to move my seats back. i wouldnt recommend doin it. i would rather make a downfire box that would push the slack on the bottom of the seat way up. and make sure there is air space between the back of the seat and the subs. i see alot of the guys on here making boxes and the seats are resting against the subs. big no no.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah...i've seen them as well. =-/

Where did you get the materials? So you're saying that i should look for some subs with a mounting depth of 5.3" or less...not alotta options... =P (to my standards anyways). lol

·
Registered
50 Posts
just got everything at home depot. true, mounting depth isnt much but you can still find a good sub that will fit. the treo TSX10 is only 5.5" mounting depth and still rated at 400wrms. if you wanted to play it safe than get a treo TSi10. the mounting depth for that sub is only 4.5" with 200wrms. not sure if you want 1 or 2 subs. get one of those troe's and make a ported box. make the back of the box with thinner mdf and the rest with 3/4".

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like the SSi series... ( i have 1-1000 watt amp... and 1-1200 watt amp...) plus only 5.1875" mounting depth...so yeah... i can definitely push'em. Where did you get yours from?

·
Registered
50 Posts
i didnt even look at the SSi model but i would definently role with those. i dont have treo's. right now i have 2 diamonds and in my closet i have 2 RE SE's. i hooked my new us amp up to the diamonds and its way to much power. i got the us amps for the RE's but havent had the time to make a box for them yet. i want to make a fiberglass ported box to run the 2 RE subs. it wouldnt be at all possible without moving my seats forward. i'm kinda wishing i did a little more homework and got the treos instead so i wouldnt have had to move my seats.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
you know... after looking at the Treo's on ebay...i dont think i want to spend $200 on 1 sub.. =-/ Considering i can get 2 JL's or something of the such for $150-200.. Now i wouldn't mind spending $200 on a SoloBaric... but that's a different story..

I'm going to go out and take accurate measurements tomorrow. That way i can see how much material i'm going to need. Shouldn't cost more than $50 right? (for the box)

·
Registered
50 Posts
i would definently take a treo over a solobaric. treo's are some of the best bang for the buck subs around. that treo ssi 10 will blow away any jl or kicker sub that will fit back there. as far as materials go, just get a sheet of 3/4" mdf($21), wood screws($4), wood glue($3), and try to find a smaller sheet of some 1/2" mdf for the back of the box. how many subs are you gonna go with?

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Really? Hmmm.. to be quite honest, this is the 1st time i've actually heard the name of Treo.... but they definitely look decent. As for how many... i was thinking 2... but if i go with the ssi.. i might only go with 1 (since they are rated @ 750rms. Dunno though. Money really isn't that big of a deal... i would just like to spend as little as possible...ya know?

And thanks for the info on the materials. ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
go with the treo all the way. you wont find another sub that will hold that much power and have that little of mounting depth. if there is any jl or kicker sub that can keep up with those same specs and performance will have a mounting depth of atleast 7". plus cost more. one would be perfect with that amount of power. the box would be easier to make too.

·
Registered
162 Posts
i just ordered the under seat box. i got the 8'' L5 (square sub) box. should sound as good as 2 10'' round subs.:hmm:

·
Pat McCrotch
699 Posts
I really wonder how the 8" subs will sound. I have been debating for along time what kind of system to put together for my truck. Wish I could hear a few different combos in person to decide you know but thats not going to happen haha.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts