GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i've heard everyone saying that they drag their gas tank on the nbs so they gotta raise it or put a drag plate under it. now i have a 97 ext. cab thats on a 4/8 drop and yesterday i noticed that it sounded like i was draggin something while i was going over some small humps in the road. it definately didnt sound like metal on the ground but it sounded like plastic or something so thats why im thinking its my gas tank. any help would be great.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
You can raise the tank enough to clear the frame on the obs. The tank has a plastic piece under it that hangs below the tank about 3/4". I was at a 6/8 drop, and never drug my gas tank. I now have bags in the back. I had to cut a notch in the crossmember above the gas tank about 1.5" tall. I re-bent the strap, and bolted it back up. I drag all the time, and no drag marks on the tank.

·
Registered
124 Posts
My 97 regular cab has a plastic protector under the steel tank and with a 4/6 drop (close to a 5/7 with tires) I have dragged the frame and tank protector over some of those "speed bumps". This was a picture I took of some of my frame scratches on the drivers side of the frame right beside the gas tank (its the grey blob on the right and it has many scratches too...). I am in the process of installing airbags so I hope to "lift" over those frame scrapers in the future but I may still install a skid plate, just to be sure...any one have pictures of a skid plate?
framescratches1.gif

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys i guess its not my gas tank. just wanted to be sure u know. plus i couldnt really see any scratches or anything under my truck when i looked.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts