GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, heres my dilemma. I'm leaving on a road trip on tuesday, and have had a vibration for a few months at around 45 MPH. I've gotten new tires, tie rod ends, pitman and idler arms, cv shafts, and both hub assemblies. The vibration is still there. Today I was up under my truck, and noticed that I can move my drivers CV up and down about 1/4-1/2" or so at the diff. I found in another thread that the carrier bearing in the housing is most likely the culprit, but I do not have time to order the parts in and change them before I have to leave.

Now, my question is this. Will it be ok to just remove the CV's from the Diff and cut the boots and remove the snap rings and pull the axles out but leave the stub shafts in? That will keep the preload on the wheel bearings and it should be ok to drive that way right? I do not have autotrac, so my front diff shouldnt spin at all as long as I leave it in 2wd right?

·
haz 12"s!
4,531 Posts
That play is normal. I learned that the hard way. The design is the reason it moves. All it sits on it a small needle bearing just inside the seal and then slides into the diff. It was probably me you seen post that. I rebuilt my whole deal and it still ended up the same way. Look else where for the vibes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah actually I think it was your post that I saw it in. Damn now I don't know where else to look. I do know that CV vibrates though, and I just replaced it with a new one this weekend, and it still does it. I put the truck up on jack stands and ran it in 4wd and you can see it. As for balljoints, I did have a bad upper drivers side, but it has been replaced, and there is no movement in any of the other 3.

The vibration is almost more like a bounce, maybe 3 times a second I guess.. and its not in the steering wheel. What else do you guys think it could be? Its been going on for a few months...

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Do you have a CV style front driveshaft? If not that is your vibs with your lift kit!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no I just have the regular driveshaft, but its been lifted for almost 2 years now, and just started vibrating this winter. I have looked at it moving though, and in 2wd the driveshaft does not spin. I think I'll pull it in the shop tonight and re-check all of the lift, thats a good idea, and one that I had not thought about yet.

·
Throttle Jockey
279 Posts
Bad u-joint?

Tires even and square?

Balance wheels?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats about all I can think of also tharf. I guess that means that its time for a 14 bolt and some 37's on new wheels in the near future.

tanz, I just replaced both u-joints on the rear driveshaft last week, no fix. And I have 4 new tires that all balanced with less than 3 oz each..

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Why is it time for a 14 bolt if you have vibs. If it is not rear axle related then your vibs will still be there. Check the obvious like others stated.
Bent wheel
unbalanced tires
bad u joint
bent shaft

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
i had a goofy vibration in my truck and i did all the hunting you did and finally found i had tore the bushing on the top of my shock. that was allowing some play and some metal to metal contact. just a thought

·
Throttle Jockey
279 Posts
Front u-joints?

What year truck. If it has auto 4wd, then your fron shaft is always spinning.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Then your vibration is coming from the back.
Rear ujont has probably never been greased and is about to have catastrophic failure.

·
haz 12"s!
4,531 Posts
Then your vibration is coming from the back.
yeah. If you dont feel the vibe in the steering wheel, its in the rear. Did you watch them balance the wheels? They can still balance out, but a rim could be bent or a tire slightly out of round/ shape.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I took it back in to the shop today and watched them balance all 4 tires, they did it with the weight that was on them already, and they all balanced out and it didnt look like any of the rims were bent. Then they took the weight off and re-did it again. Also, I just replaced both u-joints on the rear shaft less than 2 weeks ago, and today after I left the tire shop I went and had the rear driveshaft balanced, and it is good to go. The upper bushings on my shocks are good to go, and I unbolted the fronts and checked the bushings in the lower arms, they are good to go also.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thats a good idea, then I can go get a prius! thats what I'll do tomorrow, but only if they have one with dual exhaust!! :biggrin:

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Well did all that Fiasco cure your vibs?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This morning I had a buddy come over, and we put his wheels on my truck, and my wheels on his truck. Well guess what.. his truck was vibrating, and mine was good to go... Since I got new tires a couple weeks ago, and the problem persisted, I guess this whole mess boils down to a tweaked wheel. I personally watched them on the balance machine yesterday and could not see one that was bad, so I dont know which one is the bad one. At least now I don't need to go get that prius

:big_banana_Dance:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts