GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Banned
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't sure if this is the right place to post this so if its not can the mods please move it to the right section.

Anyways heres my issue, I'm bagging my 06 crew cab and I'm switching from the one piece driveshaft to the 2 piece driveshaft. I picked the driveshaft up a few months ago from a local scrap yard. I told them what I had and what I needed. A couple days ago I put a new carrier bearing on and checked the U-joints. All of the u-joints were good except for the one at the back of the driveshaft. I've since then bought 3 different u-joints. None of them are matching up with the old u-joint. They're always too big. I bought 2 from autozone and 1 from napa. I also noticed that my carrier bearing isn't setting in the same place as most peoples who do this swap. So I'm kind of thinking that I may have the wrong driveshaft. They said it was out of a 2003 Silverado 1500 auto 2wd ext cab pickup. All of the u-joints I've bought have been for a 2wd auto silverado with the 2pc driveshaft. I measured both of my driveshafts before I sold the 1 piece so I know its the right length. So then I started looking at the u-joints on the internet and I noticed that they have U-joints for Automatic trucks and for manual trucks. Is there a difference in the driveshafts? I thought the manuals and automatics used the same driveshafts. Also how far should the driveshaft be pushed into the transmission?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts