GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, for my 80e conversion i need to shorten my rear driveshaft 3"...brought it to a local shop today and since its aluminum they wont do it, they only do steel. anybody know where i can get it shortened? or should i get the same thing out of a different year truck thats steel and have it done that way?

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
just find another shop to do it... call around first before you make trips all over and get nowhere....

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have called EVERY local place and none of them will do it...what should i do? to ship it out of state its only $35 know anywhere that will do it?

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
I dont think it would be necessary but you could call highangledriveline or denny's driveshaft and see what they'd charge to shorten it... Thats insane that nobody around there will mess with it.

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
If you'd like I'll call some shops here and see if they'd do it, probably save you some cash in the long run.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, just called highangle driveline...no answer. i also called denny's driveshaft, he also said he wont touch it:flame: he said he will build me a steel one for 600 bucks:nono:.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you'd like I'll call some shops here and see if they'd do it, probably save you some cash in the long run.
please do! it would be very helpful if you could find one because i dont want to loose an arm on this(the money for my pacesetters) ya know...

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
I'll get bak with ya on it later... ou just need 2" off an aluminum stock shaft right???

-and one Q... why are you going to an 80E already?? what kind of mods do you have planned to warrant such an expensive swap?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Isn't there a shorter yolk you could use... ?

·
Under Construction
8,417 Posts
he blew the 60e so he wants to build one tranny only once and not have to worry bout it so he put the 80e in now

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
still doesnt make sense to me... unless he's planning way more cubes and/or a serious power adder... until you break ~550 at the wheels, there's no need, and it will likely hurt more than help... that thing's a bitch to turn unless you have the balls.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i plan on a 6.0 with forced induction...thats where its at now, and who knows after that. just like nick said my plan is to build one tranny thats it and not have to worry about it.

by the way ben the 80e conversion is going to be cheeper than doing an FLT 65e. that trans with a converter from FLT i think was like $3,XXX shipped...my 80e conversion cost me about $2600:read:. and my trans w/ shift kit which will bring it up to $2750-2800 and im good for 700 at the wheels strong, then on the other hand a built 65e is rated for 550 and it will still probly break.

·
Left Jizz
1,225 Posts
why don't you go to a junkyard and measure some stock shafts? I'm sure you could find one out of a 2500 ECSB that would bolt up with conversion u-joints. Then when you put that 6.0 in you just need to upgrade yokes and you have 3/4 ton drivetrain (well, except your rear axle, but a 14blt sf would fix that too).

One of my buddies broke his aluminum/fiberglass stock shaft in his 95 ECSB K1500 and the driveline shops in town quoted him $300+ to build a new one out of steel. Nobody would build an aluminum one for him. So he went to the junkyard and got one for $50 out of a wrecked pickup.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
700rw on a stock 80E? lol You're going to frag the input shaft or the forward clutch drum... don't bet on that number for an excessive time.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
There are no servos in the 80E. Yeah an SK will take you far, but it can't help with weak internals and frictions.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There are no servos in the 80E. Yeah an SK will take you far, but it can't help with weak internals and frictions.
:think:hmm my mistake...ok then just a shift kit. and if i could blow that thing up by pumping more power than it can handle i wouldnt mind having to build it...but i would mind having to build a 60/65e 5 or 6 times ya know.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts