GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I have a 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 and she has a Pro Comp 5" Knuckle Lift that ended up being 6 1/2" lift up front, and I just recently put some Superlift 5" Leaf Springs with a 1" Block in the rear which ended up being 7 1/2" lift. Before the springs there was a 5 1/2" Block in the back that I hated.

Anyway I was wondering if any of yall knew of any way that I could lengthen my driveshaft relatively cheaply.. I know I can take it to a driveshaft shop and have them lengthen my existing driveshaft for about $200-$300 or I could have a driveshaft shop make me a new, longer one, for around $600. But I'd rather not have to spend that kind of money. Please let me know of any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I think your stock driveshaft should be fine....there are guys running 10" lift springs or more in the rear with stock driveshafts...

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well that's what I thought as well, but I hear some pops here and there and it's not the axle running around because I just replaced those 5 1/2" blocks with the leaf springs. That and all of the off road shops that I've talked to and everyone that I work with have told me that with the driveshaft that I have, they normally don't go over 6" in the rear. I'm at a loss

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You don't have any problems with it? What year/model is your truck?

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well damn.. Thanks for your input and I'll see what else I can do. I'm still at a loss though

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Expletive expletive expletive.. I'm confused

·
Pat McCrotch
699 Posts
12" lift. Stock driveshaft. Then again i run a different rear axle and the yoke stands forward a bit farther closer to the tcase. Either way though you should be fine. Make sure the driveline angle is correct.......

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Probably a stupid question but what the hell.. How exactly do I make sure that the driveline angle is correct?

·
Rollin' in the BIG HOG
1,316 Posts
Well that's what I thought as well, but I hear some pops here and there and it's not the axle running around because I just replaced those 5 1/2" blocks with the leaf springs. That and all of the off road shops that I've talked to and everyone that I work with have told me that with the driveshaft that I have, they normally don't go over 6" in the rear. I'm at a loss

Well actually you only have 6" of lift in the rear. If you are running 5" springs and a 1" block then that is 6" of lift over stock. Since you had a 2" block stock, you don't count that in the amount of lift. I'd be extremely surprised if you are having problems with your rear driveshaft. I ran my stock rear driveshaft in my old 2000 silverado z71 with 5.5" block and an add a leaf and never had any problems. I would have the u-joints checked in the rear shaft perhaps. that's probably more of a problem than the length of the rear shaft. You don't know of any other problems with your truck?

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A Leaf Spring rated at 5" of lift means that 5" is the minimum amount of lift you'll get out of it. There is no 2" block on my rear axle, all there is the 5" leaf spring and the 1" block and the leaf springs lifted my truck much more than 5". Right now my rear end is sitting about 1 - 1 ½” higher than the front, and the front turned out to be a 6 ½” lift. I cranked my torsion bars ½” to bring the front up so the texas tilt wasn't as extreme. So if my calculations are correct, that’s around an 8 – 8 ½” lift. But I’m not all that good with math so who knows. There are no other problems on my truck that I'm aware of but I'll check out the u-joints. Thanks for all of your input.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I'm at 9 inches suspension and used to run a stock driveshaft until my u joint grenaded, but before that I had no troubles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts