GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '02 Sierra 4x4 Z71 and for a while now, when I put the truck in drive there is a clunk coming from somewhere around the tranny/transfer/drive shaft area. If (while stopped) I change from drive to reverse (and/or vise versa) it also clunks as if there's play somewhere. I changed all my u-joints (both drive shafts) about 6 months ago. There doesn't seem to be any play in the driveline anywhere. One piece alum. drive shaft. Only fluid I haven't changed is the transfer case, which I plan on doing anyway soon as I have 121k miles on it.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
It's the slip yoke going in and out of the t case. You can pull it and grease it, but it will likely only be a temporary fix.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was wondering that actually. I had Fleet Pride press out and replace the u-joints for me because I have the aluminum drive shaft and they only charged me $5 each to do em. Well worth it IMO. I asked the guy at the time if I should grease the spline, and he said no because the tranny should squirt some fluid on it to keep it lubed. Seemed a little strange, but I figured it seemed about right because it was damp with tranny fluid when I pulled it.

Strange solution I read on a different site was to put a squash ball (like a racquetball but smaller. The company I work for ironically builds squash and racquetball courts.) in the slip yoke as a cushion. Not sure I wanna try this though. lol.

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
Yeah in theory the t case fluid is supposed to lube it up, but it fails pretty miserably. You can get a special grease from the dealership to put on the yoke. Also you can buy a nickel plated yoke that is supposed to solve the problem. People on here have tried the ball. I believe for most of them, the ball started falling apart. I for one don't want pieces of rubber floating around in my t case. Oh also I greased mine a couple times with regular chassis grease with no adverse affects, but you can try that at your own risk.

I am actually running a nickel plated yoke and I don't think it squeaks anymore. I got really good at tuning it out though. I'll report back later with a more definitive answer. I only have one because I went to a 1410 driveshaft when I did my sas and wanted a 1410 yoke.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts