GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
concrete *******
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this morning i was being silly and kicked it sideways coming around a corner and heard something scraping after i straighted out.

i go and look, and find the panhard bar laying on the ground.

i guess the nut worked it's way off:flame: and the sideways force on the bolt w/o a nut on it was a little much for the grade 8 and snapped it clean off.

so how bad is it to drive w/o the panhard bar on a parallel 4 link?

thanks

·
Puttin 4 Bird
5,842 Posts
there's nothing holding your axle from going side to side. I wouldn't drive my truck without a pan hard bar.

·
Registered
921 Posts
^werd^. I personally dont have any experience with a parallel setup, I have a wishbone. But I understand the way suspension is supposed to be setup and that will not work. and i would imagine if you even attempt to drive with it your goin to tear the shit out of your bushing on the links from the side to side strain.

·
Perfect Poise
1,344 Posts
i wouldnt do it, when mine ripped off the frame, it tried to throw my truck sideways cause your axle is moving side to side..

its pretty scary

·
concrete *******
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fuck me. that's what i figured.

·
concrete *******
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well there is a machine shop across from my job that i'm gonna see if they will let me use their welder. and of course i have a gig tonight 4hrs away in pa.

·
1,847 Posts
My buddy didn't have a panhard bar for a few days and it fucked some stuff up and was hard to drive.

·
LSX LUV Owner
2,974 Posts
heres my ladder bars with n without panhard bar.. also none of the bolts are tighter than finger tight.. but you can still see how much a panhard bar is needed lol

th_passinnerdone004.jpg

·
Flyin V Customs
1,781 Posts
it couldn't be no worse than driving with a 2 link without any kind of side-to-side locating device. unless you have heims instead of poly bushings.

i drove around a few weeks actually when i first bagged the back of my truck with just the 2 link and no panhard or anything. of course i was very easy on the turns. there is some guys a little north of me that still run nothing.

·
hotdogfarts
2,287 Posts
it couldn't be no worse than driving with a 2 link without any kind of side-to-side locating device. unless you have heims instead of poly bushings.

i drove around a few weeks actually when i first bagged the back of my truck with just the 2 link and no panhard or anything. of course i was very easy on the turns. there is some guys a little north of me that still run nothing.
It's most definately worse than driving on a 2 link with no centering device...

·
LAID OUT TIRE FRYER
1,992 Posts
if your looking for a stout panhard i like my ART setup with the bracket that bolts to half of your rear end. i would rather have a watts but my bags are behind and under the axle. the kp kit wouldnt work. i would have to make my own.

·
Under Construction
8,417 Posts
I'm sorry but anyone who drives around without a centering device is a moron, I don't care if its your only means of transportation. Take the 10speed to work for the day, you're just asking for trouble, and putting more than yourself at risk.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Bad idea I drove mine across town to finish working on my truck and thats the only driving i did while i didnt have mine on.

·
hotdogfarts
2,287 Posts
I'm sorry but anyone who drives around without a centering device is a moron, I don't care if its your only means of transportation. Take the 10speed to work for the day, you're just asking for trouble, and putting more than yourself at risk.
werd.

·
concrete *******
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i hear ya guys. it wasn't a matter of if i could drive w/o it just a matter of how far and how safe lol.

i actually did get to the little repair shop across the street. they let me use their shop and i welded the bolt back on. unfortunatley it was only temporary b/c it broke again right by my house.

now i have to tow it down to my shop tomorrow and figure something out.

i'd like to do a watts but it's just not feasible right now.

i'll post pics of the carnage and pics when i'm done.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts