GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck is sitting in my driveway now b/c some certain a$$h0les didn't order the correct front install kit for my gears. I'm nervous about driving without the axles, but I was reassured that the wheels aren't going anywhere. I myself have no knowledge about how the hubs are held to the control arms. Can anyone enlighten me? Am I ok to drive, or should I keep it parked?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Dont do it. I was told they will fall off.

·
concrete redneck
1,923 Posts
U Have To Use Just The Ends Of The Axles They Hold The Hub To The Truck!!

Found That Out The Hard Way W/ My Old S10 Blazer.

·
R.I.P.
1,278 Posts
yes u have to have ur axles in or atleast the shaft that goes threw the hub with the nut. that holds everything together.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, i called 3 different gm dealerships, 1 told me it was ok, 1 told me it was not ok, and 1 told me it was ok, then it was not, then it was, then it was not, and then it was (no shit). Conclusion: I am scared to bring my truck to a dealership mechanic.

·
Registered
420 Posts
You could suspend the diff. side of the CVs so they could rotate but not be connected to the diff or you could cut them in half so the diff. side doesn't flop around and hit shit... but thats pretty expensive...

The knuckle is held on by the balljoints(control arms) and the tie rod, not strong enough to drive on.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts

·
Banned
4,961 Posts
"I myself have no knowledge about how the hubs are held to the control arms."
leave it parked for now until you get the right parts

·
Rollin' in the BIG HOG
1,316 Posts
willyswanter said:
As said by everyone else, you have to have the stub end of the shaft in with the nut on it.

This is 100% correct! DO NOT DRIVE THE TRUCK! Your front wheels will fall off because your steering knuckle will break and then there goes your wheel. I know from experience! LEAVE THE TRUCK PARKED TILL IT'S REASSEMBLED CORRECTLY!

·
Registered
47 Posts
You cannot drive without the outer CV spline bolted in through the hub. This holds the hub together, the wheel hub is two piece. I'm a little confused about your question though, are you mixing up "driveshaft" with the word "axles" ?

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Not to steal the thread, but I had a similiar question....
Say you are wheeling somewhere, and bust a CV, but still need to drive(back off the trail, back home, etc.). Can you remove the broken CV and drive? Do you just leave the broken one? I started wondering about this while I was wheelin' the other day. It's only a matter of time.....

·
Registered
601 Posts
i pout 5000 miles roughly on my 05 silvy without the stub through the spindle and nothing ever happened and i offroaded it any everything else... imo for it to come off it would have to brake the brake caliper on the nbs... but thats just imo... but if your not going very far the dealer here sais to just take it slow and it will be ok so......ofcourse i did the opposite lol but nothing ever happened with it..

·
Registered
642 Posts
You don't have to remove the driveshaft if you still have the front differential in place. This sounds like it should be common sense, but this thread is lacking it, if you have removed the differential you will have to remove the driveshaft.

If you pull the CV shafts you do need to keep the outer in to hold the bearings together, you could be lucky and have them stay together without it, but it is not worth that gamble. I had a set come apart just getting it off of a trailer. The wheel did not leave the vehicle, but it completely tore up the bearings and the wheel was severely canted...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts