GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an OBS 2wd and I would like to lower it a little just to make it handle a little better. I was thinking of something pretty mild like maybe a 2/4 or maybe a little more. I guess that is why I am wanting pics, that way i can have something to look at to help me decide. Also wanting advice on what method I should use to get such a drop with the best ride possible.

·
Banned
164 Posts
This is what you want then
Hotchkis 2/4
You might get crap for not being low enough from other board members like I do :ninja: , but if you want better handling and not your truck dragging on the ground scraping everything and having to go slow into parking lots, don't go any lower than 2/4.
Use the coil and leaf springs, and the sway bars. The sway bars make a huge difference

Here's my truck with a 2/4 :head:
(my truck is dirty in this pic :read:)

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
2k1Sierra said:
This is what you want then
Hotchkis 2/4
You might get crap for not being low enough from other board members like I do :ninja: , but if you want better handling and not your truck dragging on the ground scraping everything and having to go slow into parking lots, don't go any lower than 2/4.
Use the coil and leaf springs, and the sway bars. The sway bars make a huge difference

Here's my truck with a 2/4 :head:
(my truck is dirty in this pic :read:)
Nice truck man! What was involved in the Denali front end? I was wanting to put it on my 03 but heard that you couldn't. Any info? Or where you got yours from?

·
Banned
164 Posts
03Carbondogg said:
Nice truck man! What was involved in the Denali front end? I was wanting to put it on my 03 but heard that you couldn't. Any info? Or where you got yours from?
Thanks! Others call it the "snow plow bumper" but since there's no snow in sunny So Cal, I have no idea what they're talking about :LOL:
I think you can put it on the 03's, but I'm not sure, if the frame horns, and the bumper and fenders are the same as the 99-02, I don't see why not.
Check the part number thread over at ls1tech.com in the truck section, everything you need is there.
To do the swap it took like an hour more or less, then you have to have the bumper painted.
I have the Denali projectors, but I switch back and forth with them and my cleared Sierra ones whenever I feel like it. So whoever doesn't like the all cleared look can suck it :read:

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Yeah the fenders and hood are all the same. Is the bumper just a cover over your factory one?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have done almost all of the drops. 0-2, 2-4. 4-6 and bags. I would have to say go 4-6. I believe that the 2-4 will keep you happy for a short time. The 2-4 takes the same if not less time to install. There are photos on my website if you need more.

Good luck,

Stock

0-2

2-4

4-6

Bags

·
Banned
164 Posts
03Carbondogg said:
Yeah the fenders and hood are all the same. Is the bumper just a cover over your factory one?
Ok, then you can do the swap too if you want.
The bumper that you actually see is just a cover. The actual bumper is underneath it, so you have to take your Sierra bumper off, put the Denali bumper on, then put the cover over it :read:
Sorry to hijack the thread :anitoof:

·
Banned
164 Posts
Anything lower than a 4" in the back and you will need a notch. Putting a 4/6 drop on plus doing the notch would take a little longer than just putting coils, leafs and sways on :read:
It depends on what you want guys...if you just want looks, then go with a 4/6. I personally don't like having to slow down for every little bump in the road, if you do, then more power to you :anitoof:

·
Registered
11 Posts
2k1Sierra said:
Anything lower than a 4" in the back and you will need a notch. Putting a 4/6 drop on plus doing the notch would take a little longer than just putting coils, leafs and sways on :read:QUOTE]

Yeah I was thinking of shackles and hangers. You are correct Leafs would be the fastest way.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I really like the looks of the 2/4. Should i go with shackles and hangers for the rear or just the new leaf spring?

·
internet bigot®
4,016 Posts
2k1Sierra said:
It depends on what you want guys...if you just want looks, then go with a 4/6. I personally don't like having to slow down for every little bump in the road, if you do, then more power to you :anitoof:
:word: i'm more for the performance, and tucson has shitty roads...

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just want my truck to handle a little bit better mainly. I am not wanting it super low because i don't personally want to have to slow down for everything either. Just want it to feel/handle more sporty.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
OrangeCrush said:
i would never put a lowering kit on a truck that i own less than 4/6 ever again:read:
:word: :read:

·
Banned
164 Posts
Bluekat600 said:
I really like the looks of the 2/4. Should i go with shackles and hangers for the rear or just the new leaf spring?
If you want handling, go with the leaf springs and get a sway bar back there.
If you just want looks, go with the cheapo shackles and hangers :read:

·
Banned
164 Posts
X2elite said:
I just want my truck to handle a little bit better mainly. I am not wanting it super low because i don't personally want to have to slow down for everything either. Just want it to feel/handle more sporty.
You should be over at ls1tech.com then if you're into performance. Here most of the guys are more into looks and painting and shaving and "laying frame."
Nothing wrong with it of course, but I'm sure you noticed the inane comments posted here about not ever going with anything higher than a 4/6.
This thread was started because someone asked how to get better handling, not on what drop someone would go with.
You want handing? 2/4 and sways period (Hotchkis)
Lay frame? Get bags and scrape and bounce everywhere. It's up to you :read:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts