GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
nbs 2wd single cab
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering how long it will take to do a 5/7 drop on my 99nbs. I'm doing this by myself, I have a engine hoist to pull the bed. I have McG's spindles, flip/notch, and shackles. Belltech springs, shocks and shock extentions. I also have impact tools to make things go quickly. Can anyone let me know a rough time frame to do this? Also, I've been working on cars my entire life, so I hope things should go smoothly.
Thanks Guys

·
Registered
496 Posts
by yourself, taking your time, not busting your ass, a day and a half.

·
nbs 2wd single cab
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn, really? I was thinking around 6-8 hours... Going to need to do more planning.

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
yep...lots to do and being 1 person...takes a while. Took buddy and I a solid day to do a 4/6 on my crewcab....had air tools and people to help us move the bed, both knew what we were doing and had done it before. Had beer and food breaks and random shit too, but def not a 6hr job solo

·
nbs 2wd single cab
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm glad I asked this question, I was only planning for one day. Looks like I'm planning for two days now. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
400 Posts
If you are no installing a notch, its a under 6 hour job... especially if you are familiar with the truck. If not, its still straight forward. No need to pull your bed for the flip kit... hell you don't even have to pull the driver side leaf pack out. Me & a buddy did my 4/6, with a AVS weld in under bed notch in 8 hours.

·
nbs 2wd single cab
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you are no installing a notch, its a under 6 hour job... especially if you are familiar with the truck. If not, its still straight forward. No need to pull your bed for the flip kit... hell you don't even have to pull the driver side leaf pack out. Me & a buddy did my 4/6, with a AVS weld in under bed notch in 8 hours.
Doing a notch...

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
u fucking fail at reading....srsly

·
Registered
400 Posts
Excuse me for over looking that he put the flip kit, notch, & shackles into one sentence.
I must have learned to read where you learned to spell.

With 2 people, that kit is an 8 hour job easy.

·
4,725 Posts
Should take about 3:50

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
Excuse me for over looking that he put the flip kit, notch, & shackles into one sentence.
I must have learned to read where you learned to spell.

With 2 people, that kit is an 8 hour job easy.
"easy"

·
nbs 2wd single cab
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You only need one other person, 2 people can lift the bed off no problem.
What notch?
McG notch and flip

The engine hoist is no longer an option, I have no help so I might be doing this with the bed on. Doesn't sound like fun, but I'm sure I can do it.

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
McG notch and flip

The engine hoist is no longer an option, I have no help so I might be doing this with the bed on. Doesn't sound like fun, but I'm sure I can do it.
Just tile bed. One side, then the other.

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
if ur doing it urself....atleast weld a 2x2 square tube above where the notch will be. That will help keep the frame straight for when u cut it.

Like so

We did that before cutting the frame, helps keep u squared up and adds strength to that notch.

·
Registered
400 Posts
That seems to be an unnecessary step, that 2x2 box steel came with your notch. If I am not incorrect you have the AVS notch. The McGaughys notch does not remove enough of the frame to need reinforcing like that.
To keep the frame straight, stand a 2x4 right side up on a jack & raise the jack till the 2x4 touches the back of the frame. As soon as it touches, apply the slightest amount of pressure, just enough to keep the frame from flexing down while you make your cut.
I have done this with over 10 silverado trucks and not one has ever had an issue.
Don't make installing your drop harder than it has to be.

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
That seems to be an unnecessary step, that 2x2 box steel came with your notch. If I am not incorrect you have the AVS notch. The McGaughys notch does not remove enough of the frame to need reinforcing like that.
To keep the frame straight, stand a 2x4 right side up on a jack & raise the jack till the 2x4 touches the back of the frame. As soon as it touches, apply the slightest amount of pressure, just enough to keep the frame from flexing down while you make your cut.
I have done this with over 10 silverado trucks and not one has ever had an issue.
Don't make installing your drop harder than it has to be.
That pic is not my truck...Id never weld that tube to the bed :roflmao:
Ive got a McG notch...I still did that tubing for added strength and avoid any frame flexing, even if the frame was supported. I tow with my setup and any added strength is welcomed in my case :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts