GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best way to drop my truck 4/6? The truck is an 86 2wd 1500. I do not want to do a flip kit in the back if at all possible, only because I dont want a notch until i eventually bag it. Thanks Guys
 

·
THE VIKING !!!
Joined
·
279 Posts
With a 4/6 , you have to notch no matter what .. Unless you just want to ride around on your frame all the time ..
 

·
Orale Homes....
Joined
·
1,796 Posts
I thought those year trucks have a 5" flip kit and don't have to notch, but I could be wrong.....
 

·
It's Jerry's World
Joined
·
3,573 Posts
dude, if you wanna lower the back anymore than 4inches you better notch, i used to bang the frame with only 4 inches in back, youd be stupid not too.

Dont be afraid to cut your frame, it really isnt all that hard, and dont think it will weaken it, look at how many of us have notches..
 

·
I don't own a lowrider
Joined
·
4,694 Posts
:word: on having to have a notch, 6" is 6" no matter how you look at it. If you are totally against a Flip kit an want to change up your ride a bit you could get 4" drop rear springs and 2" shackles, of course you'll also have to order the C notch only and have it installed unless you want your truck to be the equivalent of a motorcycle with no rear suspension :D
 

·
Orale Homes....
Joined
·
1,796 Posts
DJM 5" flip kit for '73-'87 trucks do not require and do not come with a c-notch......
 

·
I don't own a lowrider
Joined
·
4,694 Posts
groundscraper said:
DJM 5" flip kit for '73-'87 trucks do not require and do not come with a c-notch......
Good info! My mind was on the 99-up and i wasn't even thinking about his model year. Thanks for giving us the correct info Albert!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Iight...that makes it easier. I guess I will just go with the 6" flip and notch it. The only thing I was really worred about, was with the kit it looked like it came with a bolt on notch (which I like) but eventually (and I mean in the distant future) I would like to bag it and get a monster notch, like a 6 or 8" one. I didnt know how i would be able to do that after already notching it, like how would the frame stay in alignment and all when taking off the old notch. But I'm not even going to worry bout it, just gonna go with the 4/6 with the flip. Now what is the best way to go with the front, like what will give me the smoothest ride and best way to go with 4" in the front. I really do appreciate everyone here's help. Thanks Guys!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,026 Posts
While the DJM flip kit does not require a C-notch, I would recommend one. I had a 3/4" drop for about 1-year and it bottomed out allot. As said earlier, don't be afraid to cut the frame. I installed a Western Chassis C-notch when I was 15. It's not difficult at all.....:cool:


Click here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,026 Posts
86sierra said:
Iight...that makes it easier. I guess I will just go with the 6" flip and notch it. The only thing I was really worred about, was with the kit it looked like it came with a bolt on notch (which I like) but eventually (and I mean in the distant future) I would like to bag it and get a monster notch, like a 6 or 8" one. I didnt know how i would be able to do that after already notching it, like how would the frame stay in alignment and all when taking off the old notch. But I'm not even going to worry bout it, just gonna go with the 4/6 with the flip. Now what is the best way to go with the front, like what will give me the smoothest ride and best way to go with 4" in the front. I really do appreciate everyone here's help. Thanks Guys!


Installing a step notch down the road won't be a problem. Support the frame before and after the notch while working on one side at a time.

Up front I would recommend 3" spindles (DJM, Belltech, or Western Chassis) and a 1" coil spring. Eibach makes excellent variable rate springs. They deliver a smooth ride and solid handling performance. If I was you, I wouldn't waste money on those but save that money for bags. You'll be able to re-use the spindles though.

BTW, from what I've read, DJM's 63-87' control arms aren't that great.
 

·
Orale Homes....
Joined
·
1,796 Posts
86sierra said:
Iight...that makes it easier. I guess I will just go with the 6" flip and notch it. The only thing I was really worred about, was with the kit it looked like it came with a bolt on notch (which I like) but eventually (and I mean in the distant future) I would like to bag it and get a monster notch, like a 6 or 8" one. I didnt know how i would be able to do that after already notching it, like how would the frame stay in alignment and all when taking off the old notch. But I'm not even going to worry bout it, just gonna go with the 4/6 with the flip. Now what is the best way to go with the front, like what will give me the smoothest ride and best way to go with 4" in the front. I really do appreciate everyone here's help. Thanks Guys!
I wouldn't worry about bolting in a C-notch and then doing a step notch. I had a bolt-in DJM notch on my truck before I did my step notch. :read:

I would probably trust BaggesC10's experience over mine. I remeber somebody with an '86 telling me they had done the 5" flip with no notching and it rode fine.. :think:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,026 Posts
groundscraper said:
I would probably trust BaggesC10's experience over mine. I remeber somebody with an '86 telling me they had done the 5" flip with no notching and it rode fine.. :think:


It goes both ways. Some people say their trucks ride great and others don't. BTW, I used Smooth-Rider 4" leaf springs and it rode awesome on the highway. All of which are smooth around here.....:bowtie:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,026 Posts
86sierra said:
So if I were to get this :6" Flip Kit , then what leaf springs should I use? My Stock ones? And serious thanks to everyone for their help.

Brian

Belltech offers great products. Remember, that you'll need shackles to gain that additional inch, for a total of 6". Reuse the stock leaf springs unless they are worn out. Now, would also be a good time to replace the leaf spring bushings. :cool:
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top