GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how hard is it to change my rear drums to disks. and about how much $$. also do any of you guys have any suggestion on a specific manufacture. pictures would be nice too. i have a 06 sierra

·
2005 Crew
70 Posts
I had a 2002 Z71 with 4 wheel discs and the rears always locked up before the fronts. My 2005 CC 4x2 has rear drums. GM claimed they stopped the large trucks better, I don't necessarily think so. But I know I wouldn't spend time or money on a drum-disk swap for 10 less feet 70-0 MPH. Maybe you are going for the aesthetic improvement. Stainless lines and some good pads would help more than changing dozens of parts. That’s just my opinion.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
IMO you are opening a can of worms...unless you REALLY need the high performance (ie, $$$$$ stuff better than stock) i wouldn't touch it. Get quality parts and call it good. Drums are not a terrible design honestly...they got TONS of pad surface on the drum, therefor stopping better...and its a rare occasion to need to do much brake work...buy a set of shoes, hardware kit, and go to town on it, what, every 30-50K? or more with stock stuff?? If my 14bff had had drums on it still when i got it i probably would have jsut redone them. Discs have the bling factor, but thats not everything.

·
resident pyromaniac
7,498 Posts
i've read where some guys have done the swap...they bought a complete rear axle out of a gmc/chevy 1500 with the disc brakes...had to add a proportioning valve to it for the brake fluid and some other things but i cant recall exactly what all is needed for the swap.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fuck that never mind it sounds to complicated for me. i was only wondering because it disks look much better than drums. for the future when i got some wheels but again forget it.

·
AllOffTopic.com FTW!
8,460 Posts
Advantages of drums: More stopping power in the same size of brake assembly. Self-energizing. Directly usable as parking brake.

Advantages of discs: Prettier. Easier to replace pads. Better cooling helps with extended use (like going down a mountain without downshifting, or repeated braking in a race).

See http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=190073 for a complete comparison. When it's all said and done, converting seems like a bad idea no matter which one you start with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts