GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed yesterday that I have a 2nd battery tray where the underhood storage compartment usually is and I want to add a 2nd battery. Probably an optima blue top, you know so I can run my accessories off of it and maybe eliminate the dimming lights when my system hits like my old 97 did.

Is there anything special I should know? Would I need to upgrade the charging wires and grounds, or the alternator or both?

I sort of know what I need to do, but I want to know for sure before I start messing with the electrical system. I don't want to feed 24v through the system on accident.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Unless you plan on running a isolator, get 2 of the same batteries at the same time. Your battery system is only as strong as the weakess battery. You can upgrade the alternator at a later date. Upgrade the charging wires to 4 guage and run a 4 guage ground for the second battery. The factory is already at least 6 guage.
John

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Unless you plan on running a isolator, get 2 of the same batteries at the same time. Your battery system is only as strong as the weakess battery. You can upgrade the alternator at a later date. Upgrade the charging wires to 4 guage and run a 4 guage ground for the second battery. The factory is already at least 6 guage.
John
:word:

What he said.

·
Stay Gold!!!!
6,522 Posts
I use a Stinger SR200 and 2 Stinger batteries in my boat. 1 battery starts the boat and carries the accesories, battery 2 is power for the amplifiers only. The SR200 isolates the stereo battery from the starting battery, that way I can play the stereo all day long and still have a full battery to start the boat to go home. When the ignition key is on, it lets the alternator charge both batteries. In my case, the alternator should really be upgraded though, and this could be the same with your truck.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have an 03 1500HD that I have been debating adding a 2nd battery. For some reason every time I lift the snow plow all my lights dim. :) Anyway I saw the website for Wrangler to buy the kit. Now here is my question: Their kit is for the tray to mount in the factory location, a solenoid, battery cables & a switch for the solenoid for over $500. That is crazy. I almost bet that the tray is a GM part. I haven't gone to the dealership yet to price the tray, but I bet I can do it MUCH cheaper that route & make my own cables.

Just my $.02.

Scot

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
the easiest way to do it is to get two brand new batteries, same size, same type, bought at about the same time(all so the resistance in the two is the same and they age the same over time) and just run the + for the second one to the + of the first one and then ground the second one out.
The better way of doing it is to get the same new batteries etc, and get a multy battery solenoid and wire it to the orange wire on the ignition harness so the two arent linked when starting, but are when running so both can charge. You can do a switch on it dioded out so when you throw the switch the 2 can be linked to start, but so it wont feed the acc circuit when you flip the switch maybe killing the switch

·
Left Jizz
1,225 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts