GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
car builder
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am installing a winch on my truck and have got a blue top optima battery to run it off of. I was wondering if it would hurt anything linking the the to together. factory battery hooked up normal--pos. cable run to the optima--and the optima grounded to the frame/block wherever i can get to. the winch will be wired only to the deep cycle :think:

·
car builder
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thnaks i'm downloading the instructions to get a better understanding of how this all works.

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
that would be in parallel actually, series would be the - of #1 to the + of #2 and - of #2 to the frame

It can hurt in the long run, hard to explain, do a search

·
car builder
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok i have read several threads in the 2 battery set-up, it seems that most people are running 2 batteries because of a huge stereo sys.. i on the other hand am just running a 8000 lb. winch when the truck is running only. It seems that i might have made a mistake buying an optima battery for the second. but that being said, can i just wire them (in parallel) with the factory alt. or do i need a solenoid. electronics are my weakness (can you tell). if so how do i wire it exactly. can i just get the same battery as my primary and wire them together. i'm just trying to keep penty of juice going to the winch so i don't burn it up. i think just the primary bat. would crap out to fast

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
at least do a big relay, like a 200 or 220+

·
car builder
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well I returned my blue top optima for a red top 1000 cca and wired the truck to the side posts and the winch to the top posts and used the hell out of it yesterday (pulled my buddy out 3 times and myself once). absolutly no problems. i did learn you can't pull ur abs fuse (no power windows-wipers-4wdr indicator lamps don't work ect.) just unplug the front sensors put in in inop state. most people already know this but i didn't.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts