GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sup everyone? i ordered my new 7" fabtech lift kit for my 2wd '00 GMC Sierra and am now trying to get some shocks for them. I'm a little confused on what to do, so I'm hoping that I can get some more inputall of you. You all know way more from experience than I can get from some little highschool kid working cashier at my local truck shop.
So, I'm currently deciding between Bilstein 5100 or Rancho 9000X single shock kits or if possibly a dual shock kit (if i can find one that'll work in my situation) that I can get for my truck with this lift. Anyway, if anyone can throw a vote out towards a certain shock or some feedback, I'd really appreciate!

-Keep on truckin'- :rocking:

Shock Poll: :pow:
Rancho 9000x --> 1
Bilstein 5100 --> 5
Duals --> 0

·
Pink Bear Man...
1,455 Posts
If i were you id just go with 1 Racho 9000X at each corner, Dual shocks dont really do much unless your like desert runnin. I wish I didnt have duals :(

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a bunch of ppl tell me that Bilstein rides better. Do you know if Rancho is better then the Bilstein set? See, i'm not too concerned with offroading. my main concern is how it'll ride on the street because i dont got off-roading too much. Which shock would be the best for basic street use, like bumps, pot holes, speed bumps, etc.

·
Pink Bear Man...
1,455 Posts
Cant tell ya much about bilsteins, I havent any before, But i have had a set of ranchosand hey were really nice cause u can adjust them.

·
Member #1303
5,159 Posts
first off, dual shocks won't be of much use unless you're riding in really rough areas for extended periods of time. it doesn't sound like that is what you're doing so don't bother with them.

i think bilstein is the higher quality shock, however the rancho shocks have never been complained about and you can adjust how stiff or soft they are.

·
Realtor, not Real-iter
421 Posts
Bilstein..... If you have to have the adjustability I would look at getting the Procomp MX-6 adjustables.

Why procomp adjustables over rancho adjustables you ask???? The MX6's are montube shocks like the bilsteins. Monotube shocks are a superior design than twin tube shocks, which is what most of ranchos and most others are, and triple tube shocks which is what the 9000's are.

Better heat dissapation & quicker reaction.... to name the two biggest things

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
If you're that worried about ride quality, get an adjustable shock like people mentioned... you can fine tune the front and back how you like it. And i really doubt if a mono/twin/or triple tube really matter for street driving. The only difference might be the price. I would just get the cheapest adjustable shock you can find, run one on each corner, and you'll be satisfied with street driving/light offroading

·
Keepin' it real...
2,284 Posts
danez71 said:
Bilstein..... If you have to have the adjustability I would look at getting the Procomp MX-6 adjustables.

Why procomp adjustables over rancho adjustables you ask???? The MX6's are montube shocks like the bilsteins. Monotube shocks are a superior design than twin tube shocks, which is what most of ranchos and most others are, and triple tube shocks which is what the 9000's are.

Better heat dissapation & quicker reaction.... to name the two biggest things

But if you dent a monotube, the plunger/piston jams and locks up, and you're screwed. With a twin tube, you dont have that problem. Granted, it doesnt happen that often... but it only takes once.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not too familiar on how all this works. I mean hell, I'm just buying this stuff, and having a mechanic install it. So when it comes to something I'd be adjusting, I'll prolly stay away from it because I wouldnt even know how to go abouts on adjusting it (though I do like the thought)

So far, it seems like Bilstein is getting much more positive votes! So, i'm currently hinting towards that and will make my decision on Wednesday!

Keep the feedback coming!!! :evil:

·
Member #1303
5,159 Posts
All it takes to adjust the shock is to turn the big knob on the side of it. One way makes it soft, one way makes it stiff. Check this link out. This one too.

But if you buy them now... all it will take to adjust them is the button on the dashboard. (Free remote controler until the end of october.)

·
Realtor, not Real-iter
421 Posts
Grant said:
But if you dent a monotube, the plunger/piston jams and locks up, and you're screwed. With a twin tube, you dont have that problem. Granted, it doesnt happen that often... but it only takes once.
So very true Grant..... I agree.

I used to worry about the same thing.... until 14 yrs of personal wheeling past by and I never got one dent. :D

I decided to benefit from the advantages of a monotube.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'm running single Bilstein 5100 shocks with the Fabtech lift (2WD) and the ride is great, way way better than the Fabtech shocks that came with the lift. I'm really impressed with the ride.

Get them asap :rocking:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thArf said:
All it takes to adjust the shock is to turn the big knob on the side of it. One way makes it soft, one way makes it stiff. Check this link out. This one too.

But if you buy them now... all it will take to adjust them is the button on the dashboard. (Free remote controler until the end of october.)
Man, reading on this makes the Ranchos seem very tempting. The fact that i can adjust the ride to comfort sounds nice! Where do you see that you get the free knob to adjust inside the truck? Is it instant, MIB, or what?
Is something like this a better decision then to get something like a Bilstein that only has one setting? Like is that one setting just some overall universal "set to comfort" setting?

One more day before I make my decision! Keep the info coming!

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
I don't know about the free in cab remote, but...

the ranchos you are talking about have 9 different positions. So you can soften them up on the street, run like a 3 or 4, and then stiffen them up a little when you off road, like 7 or 8.

The bilsteins/edelbrocks/and other high quality shocks that don't have any external adjustments, they all automatically adjust internally. I don't know exactly how it works, but they have inertia valves inside the shocks that open or close depending on how bumpy the terrain is. So the shocks more or less somewhat stiffen the bumpier the terrain gets.

The ranchos just have a lot more tuning options because they have 9 different settings... and believe you me, you will notice the difference in the different rancho settings. Example: If you set all of them to a 7 and drive around, stop, set them all to a 5, and then drive around, you will notice a difference.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
How much more does it usually cost to run dual shocks (not the shocks themselves)?

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
You will need a shock hoop and either a new upper control arm, or a bracket that fits around the control arm.

Most dual shock hoops are $350 and up, which will include the bracket that fits around the stock control arm.

If you also want to run a new upper arm that already has the dual shock mounts on it, those will run you $600 and up

For a setup like i have, it was $350 plus shocks

1 - 20 of 30 Posts