GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a custom catback on my 04 sierra 4.8L. It is 3" piping to a flowmaster then dumped. Are their any downsides to having it dumped like that? I just liked not having to see a damn ugly tailpipe.

·
I am the Moderatonator!
1,128 Posts
I wouldnt call it a downside, but you would just generally have more incab resonance with it dumped. I think it makes the exhaust tone sound better.

·
Burning Rubber
994 Posts
Yeah, I have a 3" in dual 2.5 outs with dumps. It's pretty damn loud. I think it sounds better than with tailpipes :rocking:

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Yeah, a turn down is supposed to be louder, due to the sound waves bouncing off of the street and back up into the bed, creating a deeper, louder, echo effect. Having a lifted truck is going to make the waves bounce further, because the bed is further away from the ground, so you aren't going to get as much of the echo effect compared to a dropped truck. I like my turndown, except I have it pointed right at my passenger side chrome shock. :nono: Needless to say, out of my 6 shocks, one of them looks brown and rusted. I bet you can guess which one.

·
I'll Take teh Case!
1,918 Posts
:word: to what everyone said.

Another minor downside that my muffler guy told me, was if you travel down a lot of gravel roads, it is going to kick up a lot of dust. Which isn't too big a deal if you go offroading and get your truck all dirty anyway. I just don't like to clean mine as often so it made me think twice.

·
I rule!
423 Posts
HumanZoom said:
:word: to what everyone said.

Another minor downside that my muffler guy told me, was if you travel down a lot of gravel roads, it is going to kick up a lot of dust. Which isn't too big a deal if you go offroading and get your truck all dirty anyway. I just don't like to clean mine as often so it made me think twice.

I would be more worried about the wheels kicking up dust than an exhuast. I have mine dumped since I don't like ugly tailpipes either and I do think it sounds better.

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
That looks great! Now update your sig so we don't have to look at that ugly stock tailpipe on an otherwise beautiful truck.

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
i personally would never dump an exhaust before the axle for the reason that it gets it all rusty over time.

·
[>
3,255 Posts
Jeff said:
i personally would never dump an exhaust before the axle for the reason that it gets it all rusty over time.

The exhaust makes the axel rust over time? Why?

That is the first time I have ever heard that.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
holy crap... how does your axle not hit the exhaust tubing on those last pictures??

And i've had my exhaust turned down in front of my axle for 26,000 miles now. The installer was an idiot and pointed it right at my CHROME shock.. so the shock has some rust on it, but other than that there is no sign of rust on any of the suspension components or the axle. I really don't think rust is an issue, unless you have it pointed at your shock like me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts