GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
RIP Jason
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think about this setup on a 00 Z71 meant for sand.....
12" FT on 36's (not sure which ones yet) with 4.88 gearing.
I know you can get 38's on a 12" but I don't want to be crushing fenders in the dunes.
Any suggestions?

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
if you are driving it hard in the sand with 36s and 4.88s you are going to break something :read:

half ton trucks are not strong enough to be used hard offroad with big tires. it almost sounds like you want to jump............which would break the truck with stock tires.

i think the 36s would look VERY tiny with 12 inches too.

·
RIP Jason
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I won't be jumping my truck....maybe like once in a long while and even then, not much. Well it's a little late to go with the 2wd since i have my truck. Plus, I love mud and gotta have my 4wd for that. Well the reason I want 4.88 is I want to be really fast while still being somewhat big. Cranking the t-bars is somthing i really want to stay away from.
I may go up to a 14-bolt in the rear as soon as I lift it but if not then, eventually when the lil one decides to go boom.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
What is the point in jumping a truck?
I have taken my truck to the dunes before, it does ok, I don't jump it or go crazy but it will cruise ok.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Our trucks were never designed to be put into the air. And if you did want it to you will have to throw down some major $ to make it so. But if you just wana cruise the dunes, find a nice wide tire (the 36x14.5 Trxus STS is awesome for the sand) so you can float across the sand.

And if you are thinking about jumping it, I suggest you look into some long travel kits. CrazyAggie runs long travel CST lift with 35's that look awesome IMO. That would probably be your best bet.

·
RIP Jason
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yah I've seen it and almost wet myself. If it was in production, which it isn't right now, I'd wait until I could get one.
There is not point to jumping besides it being fun. I have been with people who do it in their 4wd trucks but I didn't even jump mine when it was stock. Well caught a little air on accident but that shouldn't count.
I'm trying to make the truck fast in sand...If that doesn't work out I'm gonna put a body lift on and bigger tires.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Stu Meat said:
Crazy Aggie's is a 2wd prerunner from what Josh has told me.
:word: 2wd

I would stick with 35's actually, IMO thats about as big as you would want to wheel on a 1/2 ton IFS. Hell, every alignment guy i've ever been to complains about the 33" 285/75/16 bfg's on mine, saying they're going to wear out my suspension quickly.

Pics of aggie's truck

http://www.imagestation.com/album/index.html?id=4290959815

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
If your going to be doing sand invest in some good shocks - they keep your tires on the ground and that is very important in the sand. Also will prolong your ifs life. Ill agree that 36s will look small, but thats allup to you. Just be warned you will tear up balljoints, tie rods, and other ifs componets. Now with that said people act like 1 jump is going to kill their truck. Its not in most cases. I have jumped my heavy ass bitch and all I did was crush a bump stop. Im not condoning it but unless your doing it evil kinevil style - a hop here and there should be ok.

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
you would be lucky if an entire wheel doesnt fall off if you jump it with 36s

im with them. if you want to be able to cruise around and maybe climb some hills go with 36s and about 10 inches of lift. i guess you could go with the 12 inch kit, but only get 10 inch rear lift for the 36s. just my opinion.

the problem with being fast offroad means ultra low gearing and fat tires. you could use 4.88s and 36x14s and be pretty quick, but your chances of breaking your rear end are probably going to be high racing around in the sand

·
RIP Jason
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guys....I've seen trucks with 38+ jump repeadtly and catching nice air and not breaking stuff. No way in hell would i do that but my point is, the trucks take more abuse then you are giving them credit for. I have a friend sitting at about 18" of lift(Twisted with body, cranking, and airbags) and jumped all 4 in Vegas when he was at Sema, nothing broke.
Most people I've heard of breaking stuff when jumping has been on dirt...sand gives, packed dirt doesn't.

·
RIP Jason
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
About the rear end...I know it will be hell on my rear end with what I'm going to do but won't it be helped out a great deal since I'll be racing in 4hi?

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Yes it will take some stress off it. Run it until you blow the bitch up and then have some cash set aside for a 14 bolt.

I also agree that these trucks can take more than people are giving them credit for.

·
Banned
580 Posts
i believe CST also sells a 7" CST long travel kit for 4wds. if i were u i would just go with that and some fiberglass fenderrs and some 35's

·
Realtor, not Real-iter
421 Posts
Depending on how much $$ and how you want it to look in the end but here is some ideas.

6" with 35's (like someone said) and open up the fenders a little bit. This is the most conservative approach and less breakage will happen.

6" + 3" with 36". You'll get some xtra width with the 36" and still keep a lower center of gravity by using the BL instead of all suspension lift. More breakage will happen.

9-10" of all suspension lift with 36". Roll overs are becoming more of a certainty with any significant speed at all.

4.56 or 4.88 gears with any of these combos..... 4.88 with 36's if you want alot of uumph in the sand.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a 2000 z71 with 6" susp. + 3" body with 36" tires an 4:56 gears. I have not had a problem yet. An I rag the shit out of my truck. I have even jumped it a few times. Nothing to big thou, an I dont recomend jumping it much. But my truck has handeled all the mudding an jumping very good so far. I would recomed the same sutup to anyone. Might be better to go all suspension thou.

·
GPS Guru
347 Posts
I vote 6+3 and 36's... Thats what I've done, or am doing anyway, and I jump my truck just about every weekend doing something. Hell last week I hit a rice levee doing 30+ mph in 4x4 and didn't break anything except a sway bar stabilizer link thingy. Our trucks are tougher than many think...

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
As far as jumping goes...spend some cash and get a 125 or 250 cc dirt bike. I used to have a YZ125 and it was pretty cool. You can get major air in those all day and they are built for it. I'm not sure what this has to do with trucks except that it will help you not break stuff on yours :anitoof:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts