GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone on here put a body lift on a duramax?

I posted about it on ls1tech and a guy replied about having to lengthen the intercooler piping.

So has anyone done it or do you guys really recommend not to body lift one of those.

Are there any other cheaper lifts >600 that I could do instead of a body lift? Like spindle lifts, I don't really know much about those.

Just looking to clear some 315 BGF m/t KM's on it. I have 305's on my 8.1 and they just don't do it for me. Getting the Dmax this summer when my lease is up.

Thanks

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Its doable, Ive seen it done but never done one myself so Im not sure what has to be done. Ill see if I can dig some info up for ya.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sevenfold said:
A 3-4" spindle lift will not work then. I'd go with a 6"lift if you have the money. That much lift will accomdate 35s nicely.
I can't use a suspension lift because the truck is used to plow in the winter, I'd have to customize my plow to make it work, well that and I can't afford it. Hopefully the other guy can come up with some info. Thanks for trying though

·
6,656 Posts
Ok I did some research on it and this is what I came up with. People have done it and its not to much more work. You were right in saying that the intercooler lines typically have to be lengthened and repositioned. I also read something about having to fab yoru own fan shround spacers, but that would be simple. Hell I used zip ties on my fan shroud. Some people say the front bumper brackets have to be slightly modified, some say they dont so I dont know what to tell you there. The rest of the truck is the same. I would recoemnd loosening EVERYTHING you think could possibly bind when you lift the body up and be extar cautious in the engine bay area. Jack it up one pump of the floro jack, check everything and repeat that. The kit you would buy would be the PA 183 kit. I would give PA a call and and make sure thats the right kit, it should be the one for your exact truck except in the gas version. Hope this helps some, also check out www.thedieselpage.com

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot, I didn't know about the fan shroud or the bumper brackets. I'll search around on that site and see if I can find some pics or people I could talk to personally about it. I searched here but didn't find a single person with a lifted duramax. Thanks again for the info

If I could fit 315's on stock I'd be all set stupid small wheel openings :(

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What about keys up front and blocks in the rear? A long with cranking up the torsion bars would that give me enough to clear 315's? Or would that have effect on the intercooler piping as well?

·
2,451 Posts
ive heard you dont modify the intercooler pluming on dmaxes, the only thing nded is something to lift the fan shroud.

·
Registered
47 Posts
02RedWS6TA said:
anyone on here put a body lift on a duramax?

I posted about it on ls1tech and a guy replied about having to lengthen the intercooler piping.

So has anyone done it or do you guys really recommend not to body lift one of those.

Are there any other cheaper lifts >600 that I could do instead of a body lift? Like spindle lifts, I don't really know much about those.

Just looking to clear some 315 BGF m/t KM's on it. I have 305's on my 8.1 and they just don't do it for me. Getting the Dmax this summer when my lease is up.

Thanks
That was me. Its a long shot, watch Ebay for a guy selling a Max with a body lift. Ask them to see what he modified to make it work. :bowtie:

·
2,451 Posts
call the guys at nfab.As a matter of fact they sold their truck on ebay like a month ago. It has a fullthrottle 12", 3" body 44's.
ww.n-fab.com also post on dieselpage.com and dieselplace.com

·
Registered
167 Posts
I wouldn't recommend a body lift on the Dmax espically with a plow, you may run into some overheating issues. Not only that but body lifts present other problems like relocating the bumpers, if you tow a fifth wheel or gooseneck would somewhat be out of the question, plus you have to relocated the bumper hitch and tailpipe if you want them to look right. On top of all that there would be ALOT of from showing; the HDs have a tall frame to begin with. Just get yourself a set of keys for the front don't go any higher than 2" and you should be okay.

·
Registered
3 Posts
havent actually put one on but the only problem that I would see other than the intercooler piping is that you are moving the fan away from the center of the radiator, which is no really big deal if you dont use it for a lot of heavy towing. you could either cut the bottom completely out or fabricate anew shroud to maintain a direct airflow through the intercooler,radiator, and air cond condensor. I personally would not put a body lift on mine, But that is just my opinion.

·
6,656 Posts
The bodylift moves the fan shroud down so the air is still directed onto the radiator. Only as few inches are exposed above it, and air can flow freely through there. I notice zero temp change after mine even under heavy loads. I wouldnt worry about that. There will be more frame showing because the frames are taller, but n-fabs or the like can fix that. You also dont move the trailer hitch so towing isnt effected. If you use a gooseneck im sure you could rig something up that would work fine.

·
Registered
167 Posts
It's relatively inexpensive to have a regual ball hitch relocated so there is no gap between the rear bumper but, a gooseneck or fifth wheel would be harder since they are mounted through the bed and onto the frame. If he doesn't know it's not a concern but for those of us that do a body lift is not a wise decision.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the replies, I've found a few people on Diesel place forums that have done it and all they did was make spacers for the fan shroud.

I think I've decided to go with H2 wheels/tires if I can find some for a good price.

The only reason I was going to go the body lift with 315/75/16's was because my buddy worked at discount tire and I got them at their cost, well he quit so I have to pay the normal price now. I can't afford to pay close to 1k for just tires. I already have aftermarket wheels so I think I'm going to sell those and maybe my 305 BFG MT KM's and get the H2 wheel/tire combo.

Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
167 Posts
FYI the H2 wheels are cast not forged so they are rated at something like 2800lbs max. Nobody has had any issues that I am aware of but many assumed they were forged by Alcoa w/ a much higher rating.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts