GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
orry if this has been asked. I did search but found it frustrating to search through threads that mentioned my keyword and had nothing to do with what I was searching for. Anyway. Right now I have an 03 silverado quadrasteer. This was ok for a while. Im a part owner of a construction company and 10% of me runs the company and the other 90% goes out on the field. My 1500 was ok for a while, but latly im seeing bigger loads and my truck is suffering, badly. I had to crawl up a hill today at 20 mph in 1 to pull my 7500 pound trailer up. Its also starting to show its age with creaks and squeaks. etc Love the quadrasteer and the truck it self and will be sad to see it go. Im also going to be towing my boat, its about 29 feet and weights about 12k pounds, will the duramax see an issue with it being so close to the max tow rating? The trailer uses a 5th wheel hook up. Ok Truck im looking at is an 08 Dealer demo. Its a 3500 srw Crew 4x4 LTZ z71. Duramax diesel. This will be the first diesel I have ever owned, and yesterday the first time I ever drove a duramax. I was impressed to say the least. Couple questions though.

Our winters here are mild except for december and january where we just barley get below freezing at night. I know most of you get temps in the single digits. WE never see this. Lowest temp last year was 25 at the dead of night. So I know that I would plug in anyway just to be safe. But what about fuel additives, Also I do travel and will use this truck in the Va mountains where it will get cold. So fuel additives would be very nice to know about so I dont get gelled. Now Starting I have read about running glow plugs. How do you switch those on. I didnt see a button for them in the truck? Do they come on just by the key? And will they run by them selves? When I turned the key on the truck the wait to start was gone in less than a second. IM sure the colder this is the longer it stays on. So Im sure that its using glow plugs. Now I watched some dude on youtube start a LMM in cold and this weird Fan noise was on there. Almost like he was revving the engine?? Why did it do this?

Last, Programmer. What is yalls favorite. Only other mods Im going to do are HIDS, Transfer my current system in to this truck, a MBRP DPF back system. Just to get rid of the trumpet tip. I guess this will change the tone. Since I travel I dont want drone. Or is this not an issue with diesels? Im super new to everything diesel so any info is great. Only other thing I will do is an HD intake. I have not bought the truck yet im just doing my research so I know what I may be getting in to. Sorry for the long post. Just wanna be extra clear.

·
kissin hands shakin babie
6,529 Posts
can you make a list of your questions cuz im having a hard tome understanding what your trying to ask

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sure, In a nut shell

Whats the best programmer.

Also how bad are they in 25 degree weather.

What kind of fuel additives should I put in?

thanks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
At 25 degrees you won't even need to worry about plugging it in. The only time my '04 d-max struggled to start was one really cold morning when the actual temperature was about 30 below with a really, really cold wind chill and I didn't have it plugged in all night. It cranked pretty slow and ran rough for the first 10 seconds, but after that it was fine. The only times I ever plugged it in was when it was 10 or colder and the truck had to sit outside. If it was inside a garage it always started fine.

The glow plugs come on automatically when you turn the key to the on position. On the new trucks the light that shows they're on goes out really quick, on the older LB7's they took a couple seconds before you could start it.

I never added any fuel additives, always ran #2 diesel. There aren't any places around me that even had #1 or biodiesel so I never had to worry about it.

Programmers.. Take your pick. They all add plenty of power.

·
meow
15,747 Posts
PPE if you don't want to drop coin on EFI_Live.

25 should be fine.

Your not going to need much for additives, keeping it indoors (garaged) will help the most.

·
GMFS =/= Real Life!
4,396 Posts
you need more :chicken:

·
Registered
10,591 Posts
PPE if you don't want to drop coin on EFI_Live.

25 should be fine.

Your not going to need much for additives, keeping it indoors (garaged) will help the most.
word.

My truck started last winter in -25 degree weather without issue, I threw some Power Service Cetane Boost in and it was fine.

The LLY, LBZ, and LMM will start a lot better than the LB7 in cold weather though. :shake:

·
Registered
489 Posts
Like everyone else said:

1) 25 degrees will be no problem
2) PPE is best handheld programmer
3) I always use Lucas fuel additive. It cleans the injectors & acts as a conditioner
4) Get one & you will never go back to a gas engine. Awesome trucks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts