GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 376 Posts

·
RIP Jason Payne
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I applogize in advance this thread may be a bit of a clusterfuck but here it goes anyways.

Im posting my duramax rebuild thread in here for anyone that cares, there should be lots of pictures along the way and maybe a little bit of tech who knows. My good friend Cody(nibz58) and I are doing the rebuild and bodywork, another friend will be doing the paint. I purchased two trucks, the first being the wrecked 2007 with a good drivetrain and interior and the second is a 2002 silverado 1500 HD crew cab 2x4 which will be just used for parts. Last sunday I took a 4 hour bus ride to Saskatoon to pick up the parts truck, fired right up and I drove it home through a blizzard.. only 360 000 km, good unit. Here's a quick picture off my blackberry.

SherwoodNo159-20110307-00027.jpg

So thursday night nibz58 and I loaded up the F450 and left Regina for Lacombe Alberta to pick up a truck I purchased. We left at about 10:30pm and drove through the night, pretty brutal after working a 10 hour day but we got it done. Quick breakfast in Red deer and we were off to the wrecking yard in Lacombe to pick the truck.

This is what I purchased, some of you may recognize it as it was another GMFS members old truck. 2007 gmc 4x4 2500 duramax with a 6" lift and 35's. She started right up in -30 weather after sitting for well over a month all busted up, drove it out to a parking lot and bolted on some rollers so it would fit on the trailer.

IMG-20110304-00020.jpg

IMG-20110304-00018.jpg

An hour later we were loaded and ready to head back home.

Lacombe-20110304-00019.jpg

Another 10 hour truck ride and we had it home, we filled the f450 7 times for a fuel cost of over 1000$.. ouch! Riding in style though, fully loaded and you could hardly tell we were towing a 3/4 ton truck.

Spent saturday sleeping/recovering and sunday we got to tearing it apart.

IMG-20110307-00025.jpg

IMG-20110307-00026.jpg

Tonight we should have the dash out and the cab unbolted and ready to come off, we were able to salvage almost every interior peice of the 2007.

This week while I have a bare frame in the shop I plan on pressure washing it clean, removing the spare, modify the 4" turboback exhasut pipe, replace the shocks as well as undercoating/painting everything. Hopefully this weekend we will be swapping cabs and front clips over. The only body parts I could save off the 07 were the hood, bumpers, front clip and the tailgate.

I plan to paint the truck spiral grey metallic with colourmatched everything, the trailmaster 6" will be staying for now along with the moto metal 951's and my baja claws until I can afford the 10" cognito ive always wanted. Im going to repaint the lift and install new bilstein shocks to get me by for now.

So far so good, everythings going quick and the only problem swapping cabs Ive seen so far is the electrical connections on the doors are different but we'll figure that out and I'll post some pictures of our solution. Hope you all like it, cheers.

:gmfs:

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
cant wait to see it with the 10in Cognito! they make a damn good lift! so far you have been workin pretty quick! goona be awesome when you get done!:shake:

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Wow man, thats a lot of driving. Im forsure in for this build, i like all your ideas including the spiral grey. How tall are your ceilings in your garage ?

·
RIP Jason Payne
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like a fun project.

How long did it take you to get home from Cen Cal?
Haha there were many cen cal jokes made along the way. After driving all night with no sleep we also found ourselves making jokes in our thickest "bro" accents, gotta stay awake somehow. :crazy:

i'll be watching as well

do you mind me asking what you picked up the two trucks for?
I got the Dmax for 5300$ and the 2002 parts truck for 4200$ taxes in, all in all im in for just about 11K now but it should only cost me a couple more grand to finish it and I expect I could make a good chunk of the money back from the 2002 parting out the drivetrain/interior/glass/front clip/ect. I got lucky and have a friend with a good shop who is very mechanically inclined helping me with this for cheap, without him this probably would have been a 6 month build.

Wow man, thats a lot of driving. Im forsure in for this build, i like all your ideas including the spiral grey. How tall are your ceilings in your garage ?
Its my buddy Cody's shop but I would say the ceilings are about 8-9 feet tall, we will be doing the cab/bed swap outside but everything else can be done inside with the little rollers on it.

awesome.

which front end are you going with?
SherwoodNo159-20110308-00037.jpg

2007 GMC front. This may give you guys a better idea of which members truck this was before I bought it, im suprised nobody has noticed yet.

Thanks for all the kind words, its going to be quite the project and I figured if anyone would appreciate seeing the build it would be you guys.

Went over to Code's last night and we got a bit more done. Dash is ready to come out, doors are off, all the wiring has been pulled out of the cab, took the retarded spare tire setup off and did some parts inventory and organizing.. things are starting to pile up fast!

Here's a few more pictures.

Just two of our parts piles.

SherwoodNo159-20110307-00029.jpg

SherwoodNo159-20110307-00032.jpg

Wiring clusterfuck.. thank christ for code when it comes to this stuff.

SherwoodNo159-20110307-00036.jpg

35s and 17s, they need a good cleaning

SherwoodNo159-20110308-00041.jpg

And finally where we're at after night 2.

SherwoodNo159-20110307-00030.jpg

So far so good, the only thing I need to figure out now is if I will be able to salvage the bed off the parts truck or if I should just start with a better one to save myself alot of body work. I'll post better and more detailed pictures of the parts truck/body when we get it in the shop later this week. I'll start using my real camera as well, theses pictures off my torch are decent but the sony is way better. Any and all comments/suggestions are welcomed. Cheers!

·
RIP Jason Payne
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does anybody know if I can fit 37s and 20s with a knuckle lift without being too stuffed? I dont really want to crank it at all.

Also I need new shocks, im not quite baller enough for resi shocks yet so I was thinking bilstein 5100's unless somebody has a better suggestion?

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
Awesome, in for the rebuild.

What were those, 225/60R16 tires on those PYOs? :jester:

Try to stay with a wheel with closer to 5" of backspacing, and 37s should fit just fine without much crank.

And definitely go with the 5100/5125s. Although shop around and you can get the 5150 resis for only like $20 more a shock than the 5100s.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
i noticed it was 2lonoma's old truck that he rolled.

i was hoping the 02 HD front was going on. :(

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
i noticed it was 2lonoma's old truck that he rolled.

i was hoping the 02 HD front was going on. :(
03+GMC front is = to 01-02 HD front :imo
My two favorite GM front ends.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
03+GMC front is = to 01-02 HD front :imo
My two favorite GM front ends.
they both do look equally nice but imo the 01-02 HD > 03+ gmc because of it's "rarity". you see more 03+ gmc's then 01-02 HD's imo. at least around here you do.

·
RIP Jason Payne
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
they both do look equally nice but imo the 01-02 HD > 03+ gmc because of it's "rarity". you see more 03+ gmc's then 01-02 HD's imo. at least around here you do.
I would have totally rocked the 02 front end if it was a 2500 HD truck but its a 1500 HD so it doesent have the bulged hood. Do the 02 hoods work with the GMC fronts? Ive seen it done but im not sure what would be involved.. I've always loved that style front end.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
I would have totally rocked the 02 front end if it was a 2500 HD truck but its a 1500 HD so it doesent have the bulged hood. Do the 02 hoods work with the GMC fronts? Ive seen it done but im not sure what would be involved.. I've always loved that style front end.
02 Chevy HD hood will work, but you need to cut and fold a seam in the area above the headlights.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
ohhhh. nevermind then lol. the chevy hood will work but it needs to be cut for the gmc headlights so it fits correctly.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
Oh I know you're not keeping the same color, but the parts truck reminded me of my 03 GMC

From this
DSCN1235.jpg

To this
DSCN2061.jpg

1 - 20 of 376 Posts