GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
DisgruntleD
3,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about adding e-fans to my 03 Silverado, the mileage threads brought that about, and I wondered if its really an improvement, and what does it take to do it? Hopefully in the spring I will be getting my truck tuned by Zippy Performance, so if I have the setup by then I could get them tuned as well.

Help me out.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
About 6-8rwhp over an unlocked clutch. You won't notice shit until about 2800rpm. Gains are about 17-20rwhp over a locked clutch.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
I used to own a '03 and a '04 with the 5.3 without e-fans. I now own a '05 with the 4.8 with e-fans. I expected my mileage to increase more than it did. I'm lucky to see about a 1mpg increase vs. my old trucks. (I don't know if the e-fans are giving me the better mileage or the fact that I now have a 4.8 instead of a 5.3... I assume both are factors.) I thought this would make more of a difference.

As far as power, I can't really give a good comparison since I'm comparing the 4.8 to 5.3s. However, when it's hot outside (between 85-115 degrees) my truck w/ the e-fans doesn't have as much "lag" in it. My older trucks without e-fans were very sluggish in high temperatures. Acceleration was horrible and my mileage always decreased in the summertime. With the e-fans, my truck doesn't feel as slugish in hot temperatures and my mileage stays much more consistent, regardless if it's 60 degrees or 115 degrees.

I don't know if this answered your question, but these are the only noticeable differences I've seen. Again, I'm somewhat comparing apples to oranges since I've never driven a 5.3 with e-fans.

·
Pink Bear Man...
1,455 Posts
I used to own a '03 and a '04 with the 5.3 without e-fans. I now own a '05 with the 4.8 with e-fans. I expected my mileage to increase more than it did. I'm lucky to see about a 1mpg increase vs. my old trucks. (I don't know if the e-fans are giving me the better mileage or the fact that I now have a 4.8 instead of a 5.3... I assume both are factors.) I thought this would make more of a difference.

As far as power, I can't really give a good comparison since I'm comparing the 4.8 to 5.3s. However, when it's hot outside (between 85-115 degrees) my truck w/ the e-fans doesn't have as much "lag" in it. My older trucks without e-fans were very sluggish in high temperatures. Acceleration was horrible and my mileage always decreased in the summertime. With the e-fans, my truck doesn't feel as slugish in hot temperatures and my mileage stays much more consistent, regardless if it's 60 degrees or 115 degrees.

I don't know if this answered your question, but these are the only noticeable differences I've seen. Again, I'm somewhat comparing apples to oranges since I've never driven a 5.3 with e-fans.

Its the same as you have described. Maybe a very small(unnoticeable) amount of more hp. Not really any better gas milage. Keeps the truck cool (What its meant to do)

·
Giggity Giggity Giggity
3,169 Posts
I just installed my e-fans yesterday. I haven't really noticed much of an increase from the SOTP meter but it does feel less restricted. Also now all I can hear is the engine inside the cab instead of that damn fan when I first crank it up; even with the fans on its not that loud.

·
Im walking on sunshine!
5,648 Posts
Mine just plain felt better, Seems to rev easyer and i control the temp, After a few hard runs at the track i let her idle for about 15 mins with the fans on and take it down to about 150* then shut her off for the next run then i can turn the fans off for my run.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Three or four 6-8rwhp mods add up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts