GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put them on my truck and now when I jump up and down in the bed, it only moves about 1 inch. With the OEM shocks, I could get 4-5 inches of travel. Is this going to be way to stiff?

·
Dem People
5,664 Posts
Maybe they have to wear in.

·
Nom Nom Nom
8,734 Posts
LOL... they sound like they are doing their job to me.

If there is a soft bump, the shocks will firm up... if there is a hard bump, the shocks soften up and absorb more of the shock so you dont feel it as much.

Jumping up and down on your bed is a soft bump, which is going to cause the shock to stiffen itself...

try driving it around and you'll see the difference...

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
That's how they should be. I love those shocks...perfect for me but it's really a preference thing...either way, the stockers sound like they needed to go.

Cameron

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I am glad you guys know more about these shocks then me. I'm an idiot tonight. Everything you have said makes sense. Sorry about the stupid big boobed blonde moment.

·
Nom Nom Nom
8,734 Posts
Well, I am glad you guys know more about these shocks then me. I'm an idiot tonight. Everything you have said makes sense. Sorry about the stupid big boobed blonde moment.
its ok, we'll let you slide this one time...

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
so edelbrocks are naturally stiff shocks? I figured for $75/ea they'd be like rolls royce smooth....maybe i need the IAS's then, cuz ive been trying to find a stiff shock (im not a fan of mooshy shocks, and besides...bumpy roads keep me awake at 5am when im headin home from a party)

Dave

·
Nom Nom Nom
8,734 Posts
so edelbrocks are naturally stiff shocks? I figured for $75/ea they'd be like rolls royce smooth....maybe i need the IAS's then, cuz ive been trying to find a stiff shock (im not a fan of mooshy shocks, and besides...bumpy roads keep me awake at 5am when im headin home from a party)

Dave
they are stiff on soft bumps and soft of hard bumps...

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
whats considered a soft bump? i live in the country if it gives you any idea of why im asking this...obviously city/town roads are smoother than out of town, semi's going up and down my road all day hauling fertilizer, etc.

Dave

·
Nom Nom Nom
8,734 Posts
whats considered a soft bump? i live in the country if it gives you any idea of why im asking this...obviously city/town roads are smoother than out of town, semi's going up and down my road all day hauling fertilizer, etc.

Dave
soft bump is kinda self explanatory I think? If you see a bump in the road and go over it and don't feel much, i consider it soft? A soft bump I would think would be a speed bump going over at a slow, idling pace? Whereas the same bump if gone over fast would be a hard bump...

Dunno if this helps, but its kinda hard to explain...:think:

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
soft bump is kinda self explanatory I think? If you see a bump in the road and go over it and don't feel much, i consider it soft? A soft bump I would think would be a speed bump going over at a slow, idling pace? Whereas the same bump if gone over fast would be a hard bump...

Dunno if this helps, but its kinda hard to explain...:think:
I unsertand ya, cause the more I drive, the more I see how these shocks work. I feel the same bumps I used to with my old shocks. But now my truck barely dips and hops. The bumps that my truck used to bottom out on, now-i feel a small jerk as I go over them. And this isn't a harsh hard hitting jerk. So it isn't uncomfortable at all. I am really liking my Performer IAS shocks now.

·
Dem People
5,664 Posts
Mine should be here today woohoo! Too bad I won't have my truck till friday then mardi gras is this weekend. I guess I'll have to wait to put em on.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
gotcha super, i figured small bumps in the city were kinda different...where we have tore up roadsides, patch holes everywhere, etc.

Dave

·
Mile High
3,080 Posts
I'm about to drop my tahoe 2/3 and was wondering if the stock application ias' would work? I'm just doing spindles but I can get a ridiculous deal on the shocks through work, otherwise I'll have to stick with the "revised" shocks belltech is sending me with the rest of my shat.

·
Nom Nom Nom
8,734 Posts
I'm about to drop my tahoe 2/3 and was wondering if the stock application ias' would work? I'm just doing spindles but I can get a ridiculous deal on the shocks through work, otherwise I'll have to stick with the "revised" shocks belltech is sending me with the rest of my shat.
I would not run the stock application shocks on a 2/3 drop, that would really defeat the purpose of their application. I would run the 2" drop ones in the front, and maybe run some shock extenders in the rear with the stock application IAS shocks. This way you get the maximum performance from the shocks in the rear... Just my thoughts.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts