GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Boss
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I;m sure these answers are scattered out there somewhere but I thought I'd ask them anyway because I'm having trouble finding answers...

So I'm getting EFI Live for my 5.3L. Has anyone had any problems mechanically, like with their tranny or anything, because of the tune? I'm having mine professionally tuned so that shouldn't be a problem, but what do I need to watch out for particularly?

Appreciate it

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
For gas? Like from my anus? :think:

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
You're actually buying EFI Live or just having someone tune it for you? There is a big big difference.

·
Boss
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're actually buying EFI Live or just having someone tune it for you? There is a big big difference.
Sorry, I'm having black bear performance tune it for me.

·
Dbs>Bitches.
3,616 Posts
Sorry, I'm having black bear performance tune it for me.
If justin is doing it, You won't have much if anything to worry about.

·
Boss
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If justin is doing it, You won't have much if anything to worry about.
Yeah Justin is going to be doing it for me, I'm stoked. And as far as driving like a bat out of hell, how long should I wait before I really step on it? So is the tune have to like "break in"? (so to speak)... I've never had a tune and only have one friend with it so I don't know much about it

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
The tune doesn't need to break in you can start "driving like a bat out of hell" whenever you want, my point was that IF you drive like an asshole and start abusing the transmission coupled with the torque management reduction, it might begin to take it's toll. I'm not saying don't enjoy the new tune, I'm just saying don't beat on it constantly and you'll have nothing to worry about.

As far as the "break in" goes, you'll likely notice a little performance increase within the next 4-500 miles on top of the initial gains as your truck learns the new tune.

·
Boss
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As far as the "break in" goes, you'll likely notice a little performance increase within the next 4-500 miles on top of the initial gains as your truck learns the new tune.
Good to know. Would you say go "easier" on it during the first 500 miles or so?

·
U Mirin' Brah?
4,947 Posts
just drive like a normal person. Dont be one of those people that gun it at every light. Do you have stock gears?

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
No you don't really have to drive easier.

When you first get it in you should let it idle for a few minutes so it can re-learn that.

·
Boss
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just drive like a normal person. Dont be one of those people that gun it at every light. Do you have stock gears?
Yeah stock 3.73. Would I get a lot more out of tune with 4.10's? I havent put those on because of money and mpg

·
Boss
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And RANDOM question: When do I get my avatar pic to show in my posts? I feel like such a noob without it lol

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
unless you drive majority highway miles, i'd go 4.56 with your 35's. you'll likely see an increase in MPG, and it will have similar to stock power.

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
Yes 4.56:1 is what you need. Don't think just because you have a numerically higher gear, your MPG will suffer. It will likely increase because the motor has to work less to turn those bigass tires.

·
Boss
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
unless you drive majority highway miles, i'd go 4.56 with your 35's. you'll likely see an increase in MPG, and it will have similar to stock power.
Better MPG really? Well I drive from CA to CO and CO back to CA every year, and out in CO most of my driving is up to mountains on the freeway so I am a big freeway driver... And how much power will I loose top end, if any, with 4 10 or 4 56?

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
higher (numerically) gears give you engine more mechanical advantage to turn the bigger tires. 4.56's and 35's actually puts you really close to what the stock gear to tire size ratio is.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
Better MPG really? Well I drive from CA to CO and CO back to CA every year, and out in CO most of my driving is up to mountains on the freeway so I am a big freeway driver... And how much power will I loose top end, if any, with 4 10 or 4 56?
Not near as much as your tires have cost you. You probably lost 50 rwhp over stock with those larger tires.

·
U Mirin' Brah?
4,947 Posts
yeah stock gears with bigger tires/wheels suck

1 - 20 of 33 Posts