GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*insert curly from 3-stooges noise here*
knyuck knyuck knyuck!

damn i think i blew a headgasket... i dotn wanna replace but how hard is it cause im guna get sweaty... im just hoping its a head gasket and not a cracked head/block.. how do i check for either/or?

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hehe, i think i blew one because i had this syrupy smell from the exaust, and it was pouring out SOOOOO much white smoke it was hillari9ous..... i drove down mainstreet and people drinkin outside the bar on saturday night i just DUSTED them with clouds.. it was unbelievable.

·
Registered
397 Posts
NastyGMC said:
hehe, i think i blew one because i had this syrupy smell from the exaust, and it was pouring out SOOOOO much white smoke it was hillari9ous..... i drove down mainstreet and people drinkin outside the bar on saturday night i just DUSTED them with clouds.. it was unbelievable.
Yup,....thats a head gasket.....i blew one on my 383 going 75mph down a highway. All of a sudden, white smoke everywhere, and the engine would barely stay started. My pistons got f'd up and the engine was totaled. Then i bought my '00 NBS. :rocking:

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:nono: engine better not be toast..

Now i have absolutly no power at all.. the battery is holding power but there is nothing at the key or dash lights. all the fuses and wiring is good but no power! :pissed:

·
5.5MPG!!!!!!!All Day Long
123 Posts
u prolly blew fusible link at the starter or something. head gasket not hard to do, just time consuming. need to get it resurfaced and put new gasket. if u do 1, u mayas well do the other. they both have same wear.

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
fusible link... explain? if i just switched starters quick to this other one i got layin around would that fix er up? maybe i shoud just get down there and try!

·
5.5MPG!!!!!!!All Day Long
123 Posts
fusible link is on the wires that lead down to the starter. if it is burned, u will see it

·
Registered
601 Posts
It could be an intake gasket, doesn't have to be head gasket. Do a compression and leakdown test to verify what the problem is. Typically a leaky head gasket will cause a cylinder or 2 (depending on where leaking) to lose compression. Intake gasket will not have that effect.

Check all the fuses. I agree with fusable link (it's a wire that acts as a fuse, you get enough current through it will burn up).

**Edit, also check battery terminals for corrosion (you have to take them off to see if the contacts are corroded). Check the engine and bdy ground for corrosion and tighness. Same goes for the starter terminals.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts