GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
//NC FL\\
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is needed to have electric brakes for a trailer? its on a 2004 silverado. i thought there was a harness or something like that but i cant rember for shure. thanks

·
AllOffTopic.com FTW!
8,460 Posts
My 2002 Sierra with towing packages came with the harness under the backseat, near the jack IIRC. The harness plugs into a spot near the dead pedal (or lack thereof) and is well labeled. Hookup took two minutes at most.

·
//NC FL\\
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 2002 Sierra with towing packages came with the harness under the backseat, near the jack IIRC. The harness plugs into a spot near the dead pedal (or lack thereof) and is well labeled. Hookup took two minutes at most.
was that harness for the box you would mount under the dash? my harness on the hitch is a big round plug is the electric brake already in there?

·
AllOffTopic.com FTW!
8,460 Posts
The harness I described is for hooking up the brake controller, which I mounted under the dash.

The round plug on the hitch is the standard plug for trailers with electric brakes. The truck comes with an adapter for using 4 pin flat connectors with that plug when towing brakeless trailers. That adapter may have been in my glovebox or also under the backseat. Either way, you won't need it for towing a trailer with electric brakes.

·
//NC FL\\
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The harness I described is for hooking up the brake controller, which I mounted under the dash.

The round plug on the hitch is the standard plug for trailers with electric brakes. The truck comes with an adapter for using 4 pin flat connectors with that plug when towing brakeless trailers. That adapter may have been in my glovebox or also under the backseat. Either way, you won't need it for towing a trailer with electric brakes.
ok cool man thanks. now i need to see if i have the harness. thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts