GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got my truck back the other day and went to go start it today.. It started but cut off right after.. I noticed that the electric choke on the carburetor had no wires running to it.. So I ran some wires but don't know where I should hook the power wire up to.. I know it needs to be 12v and only be on when the truck is on.. I read multiple places to put it on the IGN fuse but that is inside the truck.. I was wondering if I could hook it to the alternator or someone in the engine bay.. And was also wondering how would I know if the electric choke is just no good anymore ?

·
Banned
37 Posts
You can run a fused 12 volt wire from a key on fuse. You should be able to see the choke open in a few minutes if the choke element itself is good. If not it is a easy repair.

·
Registered
73 Posts
could you give a bit more info on the truck..like year and model...and what kinda carb are you running? edelbrock, holley, or rochester...2 barrel or 4 barrel...also was the carb just put on or something you say you just got it back...could be just the wires were not hooked up by accident...or after you hook power to it if its a new carb out of the box or never been run it may need adjusting...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a 1990 Suburban 2500 it had a fuel injected 350 in it untill it blew up. Now it has a carbureted long block 454. I let my buddies dad put it in and I'm thinking that was a bad idea.. It has a Holley carburetor.. That's about all I know..

·
Registered
73 Posts
well yeah he forgot to run wires to the carb...i dont know how he didnt already figure out that the choke wasnt hooked up...because you found out as soon as you tried cranking it when it was cold....anyway more than likely if it was a long block and the carb is new...your gonna have to adjust it more than likely..i can almost bet he didnt adjust it since he didnt even run the power and ground wires for it...from my experiences it might be ok right now without adjusting it.. but when it starts getting real cold its prolly gonna have to be adjusted again to get it right..

·
Registered
73 Posts
you should a black housing with 3 screw that hold down the retaining ring around the electric choke assembly...you will need to loosen them just enough so you can turn the black plastic housing...be careful and loosen slowly and evenly that way you dont make it too lose..the retaining ring is spring loaded so to speak that way..when you loosen the tension on the ring you can adjust the choke by rotating the black choke assembly housing..

here is two links on pics for referance

http://forums.holley.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=481&d=1366211365
http://chevellestuff.net/tech/images/elec_choke.jpg

·
Registered
73 Posts
also in those pics on those links you will see how to ground it...but i would just find a wire under the hood somewhere that sends constant power with key in run postion and tie into that with a inline fuse like a 5 amp

·
Registered
73 Posts
oh forgot to tell you that you wanna adjust with power to it...i dont know the by the book way of explaining this but i thought myself how to adjust one by trail and error..id slowly turn it until the choke flap is closed and the flap needs enough tension to when you start it up at an idle the flap only opens about 25% or so..some engines are different just depends...gonna have to play with it

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I need to adjust it while the truck is off but the key in the ON position... Then start it .. And if it's not how it should be I'll have to cut the truck off and re-adjust.. Keep repeating untill correct ?

·
Registered
73 Posts
when you first adjust it like i said it should crank and you should be fine for awhile..(that is if the carb itself is set right)...then you can see how far the choke flap sucks open at an idle..remember the idle is gonna be high on choke...it only about 25 percent or less if it opens more then you need to adjust it a bit more until you get the desired amount..now when its starts getting colder your gonna have to adjust it again more than likely..as it gets colder you may or may not have to adjust it .its actually best to set them when its the coldest in your area...and you wont ever have to adjust it again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts